cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone suggest a Good router

N/A

As it say's on the tin really

I have aZoom 5510a at the moment which is a cracking usb adsl modem. However needs are changing and i want to connect from both XP and XP64, unfortunatly XP64 does not support my modem so the only road to go is to get a router. I know that I can set up XP64 with a router but this is where I am hoping you guys will be able to help.

I don't really want to spend fortune, up to approx £60ish and my main requirements are good solid reliability, something that you don't need to have a work knowledge of space rockets and hopefully redibly available.

So can anyone suggest a Good router?

Any help is appreciated

James
Smiley
12 REPLIES
N/A

Yes, the Netgear DG834. It's a great router. Fully firewall and it's very easy to setup.

Simply click the setup wizard and all you have to entered is your user id and password.

Amazon sell them for around £63, brand new.

Details of the router are below

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=222&view=
N/A

linksys (any kind - depends what u want it for)
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=UFNTaG93UmVzdWx0cw%3D%3D

Cisco if u want better than linksys

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=UFNTaG93UmVzdWx0cw%3D%3D

the cisco 837 ^_^

Buzzons
Community Veteran

Linksys don't do a non-wireless ADSL modem/router. If you do want wireless then the Linksys WAG54G is the one to go for. The cico 837 is slightly out of their price bracket at £280 Wink

You will need a router that combines ADSL modem, router, 4 port switch and connects via Ethernet. Some products say they are DSL routers but this is for cable or using a separate ADSL modem and not what you want.

I would also recommend the Netgear DG834 for your needs. A bit cheaper is the Origo ASR8400 which you can get from ebuyer.
psk10
Grafter

Yes iv got an US ROBOTIC easy to install had it for 9 months never had a bit of trouble and the pc card in my laptop,s the same great product. :lol: :lol:
Community Veteran

A US ROBOTIC what?

It would be really helpful if you can give the full make/model number when recomending something as US Robotics make lots of equipment. Also is that a wireless or wired model and what specs does it have; ADSL modem, ports., router etc.
N/A

Cheers for the tips so far.

Major point this equipment cannot soley rely on drivers in windows as win XP64 does not have any hardware support(very thin on the ground). So things such as wireless is no good yet.

James
michaelscott
Grafter

I'd like to add another recommendation for the DG834. I use one myself and it's been switched on for two months now without a problem.
N/A

DG834 (non wireless) with version 1.05 firmware
Only drivers needed will be for LAN card.
N/A

USRobotics 9106

awesome bit of kit! - about £100.00

wireless (g) and works first time out of box and if u need vpn works

hope this helps

Ged
N/A

I like the Dlink DSL 604 wireless routers. They have everything in them. I'll be ordering one once my line is activated.
N/A

Insight who are PlusNets parent company have a good selection of the most popular routers including the Dlink DSL 604 and Netgear DG834. No dealings with them but assume they must be reasonably Ok as they have the major shareholding in PlusNet.

http://uk.insight.com/apps/category/index.php?GR=4&C=109&S=1057
N/A

Cheers guys,

I have just ordered a Netgear DG834 for £63.

James