cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help me with Dreamweaver?

Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

I'm in a bit of a bind, and need some help.

Last year, my company sent me on a Dreamweaver course in preparation for a new project coming up. Unfortunately, it has taken a year for this project to come around and my mind is clean.

Don't worry, I'm not looking a step-by-step tutorial (got plenty of links for that, thanks), but what I do need to know is this:

How can I create an interactive CD_ROM using Dreamweaver?
Apparently, it's possible, as others in the company (now no longer here) have done it (and, the course I went on didn't cover it)
Is it just a case of building a 'site' as normal, and then sprinkling some magic code on it and burning it... or am I completely running up the wrong tree.

I've Googled my bum off trying to find a solution, and the general consensus seems to be "use Director" (not an option).

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can offer.
6 REPLIES
hevey
Grafter

I'm no expert, but I think you just design it like any other website in dreamweaver, but instead of it running on a web server e.g. http://portal.plus.net/index.htm, it runs from the cd file system - e.g. e:\index.htm. (just like you'd test the website locally before uploading it to the webserver)

To get it to load automatically, you need to add a file called autorun.inf in the root directory of the cd (whereindex.htm is)containing something like:

[autorun]
open=index.htm
icon=Autorun.ico

I've never tried it myself, but if you google for how to autorun cds
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

That sounds good, and simply put.

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a go.
Community Veteran

Also remember you are limited to HTML/Javascript and things like Flash / Video for animations because you have no Web server handling the pages, its just the browser reading files from the CD.
MacOS10
Grafter

Also worth pointing out that, by default, Internet Explorer 6 or later disables running ActiveX components from local drives (which would include a CD-ROM). ActiveX plugins include Flash, Windows Media, QuickTime, Shockwave - basically, anything that adds interactivity.

To get round this, you go into "Internet Options" and under the Advanced options, scroll down to "Security" and there's two options that need enabling:
Allow active content from CDs to run on my Computer
and
Allow active content to run in files on my computer

Otherwise they'll get the annoying security bar popping up warning about ActiveX trying to run locally. Obviously, there's no way to overide the settings each PC has, so some might see the ActiveX content, but most probably won't (unless they've changed these settings themselves, which is unlikely). Might be best to avoid ActiveX in your web pages if possible.

If you've got the full Studio 8 suite, then Macromedia Director or Flash might be the way to go - both can save a self-contained projector (.exe file) that can be made to auto-run using the steps outlined above.

Also worth noting is that you can't auto-run a HTML file from a CD-ROM - Microsoft have deemed this a security risk, along with PowerPoint files. There are fixes to get round this limitation in Windows, most involve an application (.exe) running that then launches the HTML file from that. A google should bring up some possibilities, most are shareware but you might find a freeware one. Whatever you choose, make sure you test it on as many different versions of Windows as you can, including Vista if possible.
N/A

You dont say which version of Dreamweaver.

You can run a html from a cd auto start by using some freeware there is a run.exe which lets you do it.
Putting webpages on a cd isnt a very good way to do anything as you dont know for sure the target pc will have a browser and if it does what sort?

The best bet is to do it in Flash and compile it the an EXE.

Do it in html and compile it to a chm file see http://www.softany.com/convert-html-to-chm/
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Cor... some awesome advice there guys. Thanks very much.

I'm going to be using DW8. The compnay have forked out for a license for me, but not for Flash or Director ( :roll: ).

I've got the full suite at home, so I may try and wrangle a few days home working to get it done.

Thanks again for all your help, I'll let you know how I get on.