Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone dig me out of this hole?!!!

chrisco
Grafter

Hi All,

In the process of uninstalling my HP printer I thought I'd deleted some temp files in error, I've attempted to undo the change to my machine using XP System Restore, that was ok but then I decided I had rolled back too far but can't now undo that change & opt for another date to roll back to. My question is this:

a) Does anyone have any idea why this has happened & is there a way of correcting this.

b) If I have to resort to using the restore disk that came with my machine, (I understand this will wipe the hard drive 'cause it says it will), will I lose everybodys e-mails & in the case of the other 3 users all their E-bay files ( I won't live to tell the tale!!) or are these stored differently.

I hope someone can help & make my Friday as all the other days this week have been what birds do on clean washing!! Cry

Regards, Chris
11 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

I'm no expert but when you use the system restore facility there are three options.

1. Will let you restore the system without deleting any programs or files.
2. Restores but deletes your programs and copies your files to a separate directory.
3. Formats the drive.

Hope this helps.
N/A

the restore disk that came with your machine will in most cases hose everything on your system so beware.
There are a couple of manufactures that give options to just restore a specific program or just the os without wiping but in my experience this is rare...
Alecto
Grafter

Have you tried every possible combination in System Resore of undoing the restore, or going back to different points?
If System Restore is broken, then it will probably have taken some other functions with it and I assume your computer is not in a usable state, so reloading Windows from your CD is probably the sensible thing to do.

One of the options on doing this may be to Repair your Windows, which will not affect your data files. After that, as the previous poster says, there may be options to reload windows but save your data, with a disk reformat being the final one where you will indeed lose everything. And this is the one to use if the others don't work, but it will also give you a nice clean system.

Now is of course the time to wish you'd done backups of everything, but it's not too late. If you have a DVD writer use that. If not, you can get a Pen Drive quite cheaply and store all your stuff on that.

But it doesn't look as though there's an easy answer and I'd expect you'll have to backup your data and settings and reload Windows. I've never had any success with the other variants of reloading Windows.
Community Veteran

Moved to the correct forum.

Chris
chrisco
Grafter

Thanks for your prompt replies folks.
gpattison wrote: Have you tried every possible combination in System Resore of undoing the restore, or going back to different points?

Yes, apart from setting a new restore point which I don't want to do, I can now only go back to yesterday which is when it all went pear shaped. I was trying to undo the 1st roll back & choose a later date. I have had a look at the restore disk & it gives the following info: "HP Plus will reformat your HD & erase all data on the HD. It will create a single partition on the HD & will then restore the original operating software. device drivers & other HP provided software that came with the computer". I'm not very technical but is the partition created to move the files to? That's too simple I think I can guess the answer. Anyhow, all is not lost I can still use the machine & I have already carried out a backup of files & folders as I always do, which brings me back to my original question are e-mails & the like stored on the HD or on the ISP servers, I use OE as I won't be popular with the rest of the family if I scrub everything.

Regards, Chris
Alecto
Grafter

That will indeed clear everything. Emails are on your disk. If you go into Outlook Express, click Tools, Options, Maintenance and click the Store Folder button, it should tell you which folder they are in.
You can then copy them.
It's usually a good idea to change this folder to something more accessible than OE's default - I put mine in My Documents and create a folder called Emails so I know where they are.
And you should also remember to backup your IE favourites and OE address book.
chrisco
Grafter

Thanks v. much Geoff, I assumed email could be saved I just didn't know how.

A good weekend to all, in spite of the forcast for snow (at least here in Essex).

Chris Cool
N/A

You dont make it clear were you are up to? You rolled back with system restore does the system work ok now or do you still have a problem?

You say you rolled back to far so your only problem is you may be missing a few days or a week updates and maybe some software is this the case? If you role back a week all you will loose is any software you have installed that week email and docs should be ok. There shouldnt be a need to reformat the drive unless you are having problems
Community Veteran

With system restore you can go back to the original state providing that you have not used it again to go to another restore point.
In other words you can always go back one step.
If you have used it more than once then there is no way you can get back to the original state.
mike001
Grafter

If you are realy stuck you can export your news, emails, addressebook, bookmarks, and then inport them after you have reinstalled
chrisco
Grafter

In a nutshell I started with one problem & ended up with two! This situation came about because of a problem I was having with my HP printer all-in-one psc 2410 causing blue screen crashes. I followed some instructions from HP support to do a clean uninstall & I deleted some temp files at their say so & couldn't get the printer to reinstall because they said one of the files was corrupted & I would need to reinstall the OS which I really didn't want to have to do. I tried to roll back in the hopes that a previous restore point would solve this. johnessex said:
With system restore you can go back to the original state providing that you have not used it again to go to another restore point.
In other words you can always go back one step.
If you have used it more than once then there is no way you can get back to the original state.
That answers my original question John, I thought you could have a few stabs at it.
Anyhow, to cut a long story shorter, I bit the bullett & did a full system restore & so far so good things are back to normal, what ever normal is!
Many thanks to all who came to my rescue with their advice, it was very much appreciated.

Regards, Chris Cheesy