cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a hub be used at all?

N/A

Hello, as I have 3 spare 16 port hubs, before I dispose of them can they be used in any way to make a network?

If the modem has a DHCP server & router in it, will a hub just act as a big bank of connectors to allow connections to be made?

or what?

cheers,
circuitshare. :?:

P.S. I'm not meaning to do this to replace a modem/4 port router (although can it?) it's just that I don't want to throw them away if they can be used at some point & the only time I can see them being used is if I have a lan party & want to connect more to the net for a big chatroom party etc.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Yes you could have 255 connections on total using a number of hubs feeding each other.
I do exactly that for a company whos PCs and network I maintain.
N/A

Thanks for the reply.
So could I also plug these hubs into my modem & use them instead of my Linksys router?

this is my modem which I don't think has an internal router (seeing as its 1 port).

Also, how many PC's are we allowed to connect onto the plusnet network like this?
Community Veteran

I dont see why not if its got a built in router in the modem and has a ethernet output otherwise no.

You could either then use DHCP or set up addresses manually.
Community Veteran

Does the spec give you any info? If not then a visit to the makers website should help sort it out.
N/A

I can but try.
Thankyou John.