cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a UPS save power consumption?

henderson1977
Grafter

Hey all, I am looking at ways to lower my PCs' power usage with the overall aim to cut my electricity bill.

To date, my best solution has been to consolidate the number of PCs I have running.

I have recently acquired a Compaq T1500h UPS and wondered if running all my PCs through it, could save power in anyway (?). Can this UPS be configured to regulate the amount of power to use at any one time, i.e. full power at peak times and lower power at non-peak times (e.g. overnight)?
5 REPLIES
N/A

no, a ups will only be usefull when you have a power cut, other than that it doesnt do anything to the power consumption,. the only way to cut it, is to turn of some of your pcs -- if they dont all need to be on, turn them off.
henderson1977
Grafter

I thought as much - thanks for your prompt reply - very helpful!

Smiley
N/A

A UPS will actually increase your consumption, since it charge it's batteries and then keep them topped up.
holdtight
Grafter

The largest consumption of electric is taken up by your monitors so
if you have several pc`s doing various tasks / downloading turn
the screens off it can make a big difference if your leaving them running
for any length of time
Denzil
Grafter

You might consider replacing any CRT monitors for LCD flat screens. They use a lot less power, but do cost more to buy, of course. Or get a switch which will let you can use one monitor for a number of PC's.