cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call of Duty and my Router

N/A

I have successfully setup a new Buffalo AirStation Router, but now when I try to host a game of Call of Duty, noone can connect.

I gather it might be a Virtual server or Port forwarding issue, but have tried opening up the cod port to no avail.

Anyone have any ised how I can resolve this. As you can guess Im not hugely network savy Smiley

Regards
Jules
14 REPLIES
N/A

In your router set up Virtual Server to the IP of the pc hosting the server with the ports below. Also set up port forwarding (both inbound and outbound) to the same IP:

TCP 28960

UDP 28960

UDP 20500

UDP 20600

UDP 20510

UDP 20610
N/A

OK, thanks,

Not sure I understand how to achieve that, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I seem to have another problem with the router, in that all is fine while my lad is on hos xbox connected to xbox.live, but if he disconnects, he cant get back on without me having to reboot the router! I didnt think I'd have to do that every time. Is this normal behavious for routers? All the settings are at default, (hell, I wouldnt know what to change Smiley

Cheers

Jules
N/A

No it's not normal to have to reboot the router everytime. Sounds like a DHCP problem.
Couple of things to try. Firstly check on the Buffalo website and make sure you have the latest firmware installed on your router.

Second thing is in the X-box network config set-up try assigning an IP address manually rather than assign by DHCP (automatically).

To set-up port forwarding take a look in router menu Advanced -> Network Settings -> Packet Filtering. Looks complicated but it isn't. If you think of it in terms of:

"I want inbound Call of Duty TCP/UDP packets for port 28960 to only go to my PC's (CoD Server) IP address/MAC address."

you should be able to work through the settings.
N/A

Getting there, I can now host a game, just cant connect to one, but I think I forgot to do the outbound ports, so maybee it will work.

Will also see if there is some updated firmware to load.

Many thanks
Jules
N/A

Problem is that if you set up port forwarding to the IP address of your server PC, that's the only PC on your network that you'll be able to play on.

If you try to connect CoD from another of your PCs, your router will port forward all its returning packets to the server's IP and not the originating IP.

There is a way round this. for each PC on your network that you wish to use for CoD you have to use a different net port, e.g.

PC A (server) - 28960

PC B - 28961

PC C - 28962 etc.

This is done in the config_mp file in the CoD Main folder on each PC. You have to edit the seta net_port "28960" entry to the port number you need.

Having done that you then need to go back into the router and create a set of port forwarding rules for each PC to/from its respective port.

Easy...... :roll:
N/A

Hi, thanks agian for the info.
Sorry if I misled at all, but I'm not trying to connect another pc on my network to cod, just either host a game on mine for others (wan) to connect, which is now working (thanks), or connect my pc to someone elses (wan). I have one more thing to try and will let you know.

The formware seems to already be at the latest, so nout to be done there.

Still havent go tto the bottom of the not being able to connect the xbox reliably, although I have given the xbox anothe ip, as I did get an ip config error popup once. Hopefully that is sorted..

Thanks again

Jules
N/A

I dont get why I need to set another port other than 28960 when Im only using one pc?

What am I missing.
In short, I have setup ports to allow others (wanside) to connect to me, but I cannot connect from my pc to them (wanside)

I thought I would just be able to setup inbound and outbound ports for 28960 ?

Jules
N/A

20500/20510 are heartbeat packets from your server to the central CoD servers. 20600/20610 are the same but for the United Offensive version.

Con't understand what you mean by "but I cannot connect from my pc to them."

Normally all you need to do is start your server console session then quit. Then at your own pc go into multiplayer, find your own server and join it to play in the same way as any other remote server.

hth
N/A

not sure what you mean.

If I serve the game I just run the game then start a new server game, and wait for the others to arrive. I dont run the server game then run another to connect to it?
Although this is now not workign whereas it was when I first added those ports you told me about.

A friend has done similar to set up a server game, and two other mates can connect to it, but I cant?

Regards
Jules
N/A

So are you saying that you can run a server ok and others can connect to it, but now you cannot connect as a client to a remote server?

Try the following packet filter rules (these are mine, but substitute your own IP and subnet numbers):

Inbound TCP, Forward from external ports 0 to 65535, to 192.168.1.104, 255.255.255.0, Ports 28960 to 28960

Inbound UDP, Forward from external ports 0 to 65535, to 192.168.1.104, 255.255.255.0, Ports 28960 to 28960

That's because not all servers are set to run on 28960, so if you only allowed inbound from 28960 you would not be able to connect to all.

Did you also edit your mp_config file to include seta net_port "28960"
N/A

No, Im saying I could run as a server and friends could connect, now they cannot.
I have yet to manage to connect to them when they serve, even though others can.

Strange thing is that I cant ping them, but they can me

Jules
N/A

Well, after faffing around, rebooting and reseting, and adding and removing options on the router, it now sems to be back to working !

Needless to say Ive used the option to backup the settings, and darent turn off the router Smiley
N/A

Glad you got it sorted Cheesy

I leave my router on 24/7 unless I need to reboot (rarely if ever) Cool
N/A

Many thanks for the help.

I still dont think I can connect to others, but that doesnt really bother me.

Jules