cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Upgrade?

N/A

CPU Upgrade?

Can anyone help please. I've currently got a 800MHz CPU. I am thinking about upgrading this. Will my current mainboard support a faster processor.

The mainboard, (according to the manual), is a pc266, m810 series V5.0, which I think is manufactured by a company called PC Chips.

Apparently it has a socket-462 processor socket that will "support an AMD K7 CPU or forthcoming" but doesn't guarantee that future processors will be supported. In terms of age, The pc is about 3yrs old. I guess the mainboard is about the same age.

Other tech details include:-

Socket-462 front side bus speeds of 200/266MHz
T-bird chipset which integrates 128-bit AGP graphics accelerator
Ultra DMA 33/66/100 function

Can I just drop in a new processor or is there a limit to what the mainboard will be able to handle? If yes are there any recommendations as to which processor I should opt for?

When answering, please remember that all of the above technical details mean nothing to me and your talking to a complete numpty, so any technical jargon will go completely over my head Smiley

Thanks in advance for any help and advice received.

Gareth
5 REPLIES
colorado
Dabbler

CPU Upgrade?

If you take a look at the following site you should find all the info you need. It looks as if you MAY be able to go to 1.4 on the 266 fsb.

http://radel.inet.net.nz/m810lmr.html

hope this helps
N/A

CPU Upgrade help.

Kevineames,

Thanks very much for the help. I found the site you linked me to very useful. It certainly does look as though I can go up to the 1.4Mhz Duron.

Ah well out with the screwdriver :lol:
Brickinit
Grafter

CPU Upgrade?

hi gareth,
you might struggle to find an AMD 1.4 nowadays unless you can find someone who has done an upgrade. that said don't forget you will need an new heatsink and fan for your new CPU
malc
N/A

Thanks all

Thanks to Happyhound,

I realise that the 1.4 Duron processor is now outdated, but I have found a few on e-bay being sold as 2nd hand and even a couple of new ones.

I'm now in two minds as to upgrade my present mainboard or really splash out and get a new one.

I think I'll leave it now until the new year anyway, what with two kids who are desperately trying to clear Santa's warehouse of stock :!:

Once again thanks a lot for the really useful, (and really fast), info.
Community Veteran

Re: CPU Upgrade help.

...It certainly does look as though I can go up to the 1.4Mhz Duron.

...you might struggle to find an AMD 1.4 nowadays unless you can find someone who has done an upgrade.

Heh... I think you'll have to really struggle to find a 1.4MHz Duron. Wink

Thomas