cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Temperature.

N/A

CPU Temperature.

Could anyone please help me with this query?

I'm trying to find out the optimum operating temperature for an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU, I've searched the AMD website without success, thank's in advance, Jack.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran

CPU Temperature.

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx and specify AMD Athlon 64 and 3000+.

Max temp is 70C but I would not want to run it above 50->55C
N/A

CPU Temperature.

Hi Peter,
Thanks very much for your fast reply, I saw this page but took it to be for ordering and didn't complete the details, again many thanks, Jack.
N/A

CPU Temperature.

Hi Peter again,
I've just checked my CPU temp. using the BIOS and from cold it says 59c. rising to 66c. under normal usage (browsing and some office), using PC Wizard it reads as 32c. at start up rising to 35c. during usage. My guess would be that the BIOS is wrong as the computer runs perfectly and fast, is there a way to get a definitive reading? By the way my motherboard is a Foxconn 6150K8MD, thanks in anticipation, Jack.
N/A

CPU Temperature.

On startup my CPU is 60C according to the BIOS, when i opened Asus PC Probe, you see if slowly going down from 60C and idling at 40C. Its nothing to worry about.
holdtight
Grafter

CPU Temperature.

Those temps appear to be quite normal but download and run speedfan which is very accurate and will give you your true temp readings

Bill.
N/A

CPU Temperature.

Hi Bill,
I did as you suggested and downloaded Speedfan but for some reason my system didn't like it, when I tried to run it it just filled the desktop will error messages and I had to do a system restore to clear it.
I think as you say the readings look OK and the computers running without problems I'll just leave it. I was checking it because I'd just fitted the system into a new case and wanted to see it wasn't overheating.

Thanks again for your help as a recent newcome to computers it's nice to know you can get help when required, Jack.
holdtight
Grafter

CPU Temperature.

well thats most unusual ive not seen a system yet thats had a problem with speedfan but my apologies anyway and im glad yours is now ok again

As your not going to be running SF again i suppose its no use going into the reasons why unless your still having any problems because of it although out of interest what were the error messages and/or system problems you were getting when you did run it ?

Help is free here Jack and generally comes with a smile too so your more than welcome Cheesy

Bill.
N/A

CPU Temperature.

The problem I had was as soon as I tried to run the software it gave an error code which just kept duplicating itself like falling domino's as each one covered the previous one until they disappeared off the desktop it was impossible to read the message, then I did a system restore and all was OK.

Anyhow all's well that ends well and I thank you again for your input, Jack.
N/A

CPU Temperature.

Just like to point out your ambient room temp will have an impact on how cool your pc runs....so if the room/cubbyhole is 32deg then your pc will be frying and you'll end up crying.

the ideal temp for a pc to be sat in is 15deg (chilly for us humans) any less and condensation will form in the case.

or you could try using a descent chip cooler like a Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro, my cpu (x2 64 4400) runs at 32deg flatout.
The_10th
Grafter

CPU Temperature.

... you could try using a descent chip cooler like a Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro, my cpu (x2 64 4400) runs at 32deg flatout.

Use that cooler myself with Artic Silver paste and it is very quiet and effective. Another (no doubt boring point) is that air in and out of a case has to be balanced and enter/exit at the correct places for maximum cooling effect. Top Back and top for exit and low front and side for input. Negative air pressure can occur if the balance of input/output fans occurs and will suck in air and dust from other gaps in the case!
N/A

CPU Temperature.

If air is being pushed out, no mater where i.e. Top Back and top for exit does that not mean air is being pulled in i.e.low front and side and this air can contain dust? I very much doubt that you can creat negative pressure inside the case unless it is sealed and input and exhaust are 'valved'.
Any thoughts?
The_10th
Grafter

CPU Temperature.

Where does the air come from - thin air! If you pull more out than is going in (by input fans) then it will pull the air from any other vent/gap (and fans can have filters on to stop dust). This will not aid cooling.
N/A

CPU Temperature.

I agree about fans can have filters. How many have you seen with filters fitted though. Still do not think you will create negative air pressure though, no matter what.
The_10th
Grafter

CPU Temperature.

I have filter on my side one but better cases have filters at front as well. Air pressure is a matter of physics and it stands to reason that too much or too little will create positive or negative air pressure and this is a fact.

I searched about this and found that positive air pressure can be good too:

"...Many suggest that when you plan case ventilation, you should try to get a little more air being pumped into the box than being pumped out, not the opposite.

The main reason for that is dust. A partial vacuum within the case will suck dust in through every gap or uneven seam. Dust can act as an insulator and cause case temperatures to rise. Dust can gum up floppy or optical drives. Dust can act as a sponge and absorb moisture from the air, eventually causing possible corrosion of components.

This article argues that despite all this, there's a good reason why you might want lower pressure inside than outside your case
..."

*Edit - just for information, you don't need a seal or valves to create negative air pressure - just pressure.