cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Speed

N/A

CPU Speed

Hi All
I've just done an upgrade with a new ASUS A7N8X delux motherboard and an AMD 2500+XP Barton CPU, I've left the BIOS as standard, making no changes from the default settings, my problem is, the CPU is only running at 1100MHZ instead of the 1833MHZ it should according to AMD. My prvious setup was an MSI motherboard with 1800+XP Athlon which ran at the normal 1550MHZ.
I'm wondering if the FSB is set wrong? maybe 266 instead of 333, would this have the effect I'm getting?
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Ken Lingard

O/S XP Professional
4 REPLIES
N/A

CPU Speed

First off, you should allways use the "restore to factory defaults" in the BIOS. This will set the mobo to full auto, and should detect your stuff correctly.

Second, make sure you have the newest BIOS, to iliminate past issues.

The latest BIOS was on the 21st/22nd May (depending on the PCB version).

There are occasional times, where a supplier ships old BIOS versions on board, while advertising the higher speeds of updated BIOS's.
Community Veteran

CPU Speed

Some versions of BIOS do default to a lower initial speed to make sure that they do not damage the CPU. The last machine I built using the ASUS motherboard was like this. With these boards it is quite usual to have to go into the BIOS and tell it what speed you want to it to run at.

Another thing to watch for is that it can sometimes reset to the slower speed if for example you lost the mains power during the Power On Self Test stage.
N/A

CPU Speed

Hi All

Thanks for the reply's guys. I've sorted it. I went into the BIOS and changed the external frequency from 100mhz to 166 mhz, and the CPU is now running at 1833mhz.
Just out of interest. When I look in the ASUS Probe, it says the maximum speed is 3000mhz.

Thanks again

Ken Lingard
N/A

CPU Speed

Ah! I've just realised, the 3000mhz is the maximum speed CPU that the board will accept, not the maximum speed for the currently installed CPU.

Ken Lingard