cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU MOBO Help

Midville
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

Recently my PC has been playing up. It will freeze and when I try to boot back up there is no ‘bleep’ and not a lot happens obviously. After a moving my heatsink a little the system will boot back up fine and work for a number of hours before it happens again.

I have ensured that my processor is in the socket, any other areas which may be causing this fault. I know a little about computer and can tinker a little….. Dangerous I know.

Anyway thanks in advance.
Smiley
38 REPLIES
Midville
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

Would lack of / worn away thermal compound between cpu and heat sink cause this?!?
Alecto
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

Do you know it's a temperature problem?
Have you run a program to measure it such as Motherboard monitor?
Peter Vaughan had a long correspondence with somebody on the forums several months ago about the virtues of thermal paste, saying a tiny bit might be a good idea, but it would be as well measuring the temp first.
holdtight
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

If you had to move your heatsink a little it would have unsettled the thermal paste that was already in place and i would recommend taking it off giving both h/s and cpu a good clean and reseating it with some fresh paste
Midville
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

No I dont just plucking at straws really..... Sad I will download that file when my main pc starts working again.
Midville
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

Do all CPU and sinks have to have this paste stuff?
Denzil
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

To get good heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink theoretically you would have two perfectly flat surfaces in contact. In practice no surface is perfectly flat so the lightest smear of thermal paste fills in the microscopic undulations (I like that word Smiley )

Run the monitor thing to check as gpattison says. If it is getting hot then try cleaning CPU and heatsink and reassemble with fresh paste. Also check the heatsink is clean (not dusty), that the fan is working, and that the case fan is working as you need to get the warm air out of case for the heatsink to work properly.

Also try unplugging and replugging CPU, memory cards, hard drive connectors, PCI cards etc to make sure all the connections are good. Do this with the PC off (naturally), but with the mains lead connected so the case is grounded. Touch the case before you start to discharge any static your body is carrying.
Community Veteran

CPU MOBO Help

You could also wear an antistatic band ;-)
Alecto
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

Some CPUs don't use paste, they have a thin pad between them and the heatsink that is supposed to do the job of paste and fill the microscopic undulations Cool . If you have one of these, it's not a good idea to spread it with paste.
Midville
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

32 for case and 31 CPU.

Fans point into the red @ 2500 ish rpm.

-12 and -5 v is in the red whatever that means.

CPU is now down to 30
Alecto
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

Not your CPU overheating then. That can do 50 with no problem.
Midville
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

Just went to a blue screen then went off again the temperture were as above really.

Wont boot up no 'bleep'. Sad
Alecto
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

No error message with the blue screen to look up on Google?

This sort of thing suddenly happening is usually down to something you've changed. I had it when my new Mobo/memory had some sort of incompatibility with the processor, but went away once the processor was changed.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Cry
Midville
Grafter

CPU MOBO Help

Thanks for the help so far......havent changed anything for a while now.
Community Veteran

CPU MOBO Help

o.k. being silly here, but have you tried the oldest and most reliable diagnostic known to man?

Give it a whack!