cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCNA

Community Veteran

CCNA

Has anyone studied for and taken the CCNA exam(s)? I'm just setting out. So far I've got a book, some practice exams and a 1600 series router with no documentation or anything else.

I'm going to start with getting into the router and have a play with that and read the book.
I've got a little bit of Cisco experience. I've setup 2 PIX 500s and a router which I did from the command line with no assistance (a 1600 irc) but this was a while ago.

So I'm now working on my CCNA and I've got 4 months to do it all in, so does anyone have any good pointers?
16 REPLIES
N/A

CCNA

Get netsim from

http://www.boson.com/Product/CIS-NS-CCNA-04.html

It lets you setup routers virtually on your pc so you can setup 5 routers and make sure they talk to each other so you can get loads of practice.

Google for netsim as there are some other ones as well. Without them unless you work in an enterprise you wont be able to setup 6 routers at once and get them working.

Try breaking into routers(your own not hacking) as this is very helpful and Cisco has the instruction to do it on their site we forever had to do it as people who knew the password left the company.

learn the short hand from the start as it makes it a lot quicker. most commands can be abbreviated so show running confige can be done as sh run.
The_10th
Grafter

CCNA

Hi, just doing my studying too Cheesy

Apparently Preplogic, Transcenders, ExamForce, Measure Up, SelfTest are the better ones. They are a bit better in representing the style of the actual cisco exam, though Boson is certainly not bad.

Not sure if Cisco allow short commands though but check this site for help: http://www.techexams.net/index.shtml

Password recovery (breaking in during boot sequence and changing register) is good to practise as a bit strange at first.

Best Wishes
Community Veteran

CCNA

I've got the Boson stuff as it came with my study book, so hopefully that will do.

From the looks of the router I've borrowed I'll need to do a password recovery first anyway!

Thanks for the tips guys.

Chris
Cloudmaster
Grafter

CCNA

I'll soon be starting my study for the CCNA & am planning on buying this book unless anyone has any better suggestions.

fa55dsl, which book did you get that came with the Boson software?
The_10th
Grafter

CCNA

I used the old Todd Lammle book for the most part before but got this one on its own so your choice looks ok but never used virtual labs much in the past. Try the website I posted above as some labs on there.

Best Wishes.
Community Veteran

CCNA

I bought this one.

I bought one in the same series for my MCSA and they were easy to read and not too dry. I haven't read much yet, and I guess we'll see on the exam day how good it is!
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

CCNA

I used the Sybex books and simulator to pass the CCNA. There is alot to learn but most of it is quite simple. The exam is well written and will catch out people who don't know what they are doing unlike many other similar exams.

Good Luck Smiley
Community Veteran

CCNA

Hello everyone,

Studying is going well and now starting to think towards the exam.

For people who've taken it, what would you suggest - the 1 exam approach or the two exams (ICND / INTRO).

Through Vue the CCNA single exam is £84 and the others are £56 each (£112) plus VAT. Obviously the one exam is cheaper, but it sounds like its harder. If I fail the one exam first time round it would cost more.

What have others done and what do you think I should do?

Also how did people find the exam(s), did people pass first time or did you take a few goes?
Community Veteran

CCNA

Chris, I don't know if this is a standard way of doing it or whatever, but my college were offering it this academic year (before it got cancelled, but that's a different story).

The way they structured it, it was split into 4 "semesters" with an exam at the end of each giving you a certificate for 1/4 of the CCNA, all the material was available online on a section of the cisco website (accessed via http://cisco.netacad.net ). I did "CCNA 1 - Networking Basics" (aka Semester 1) like this and found it quite good, unfortunately the college didn't run anything past semester 1.

The college put on 2 classes each week, in each of which you would read through and take a test for a chapter (sub part of the semester) which didn't count toward your final mark, but was useful to know how you were doing.
Community Veteran

CCNA

It's kind of the way a self study book works as well. I don't know if anything like that is running round here, but I wouldn't have the ability to be in a certain place at a cetain time unfortunetly on a weekly basis, mainly due to work and family commitments.
grey_gorilla
Dabbler

Re: CCNA

So I'm now working on my CCNA and I've got 4 months to do it all in, so does anyone have any good pointers?

Practice subnetting until you can do it in your sleep. A good proportion of the questions are related to subnetting. The easier/quicker you get through the subnetting questions, the more time you have for the rest.

ISDN (BRI) may be deprecated now (only had one Q which mentioned ISDN, and it wasn't even an ISDN 'problem'), but ACLs and NAT can turn up at a fairly basic level.

Remember IP subnet zero.

The bosun software that came with my copies of the Cisco manuals had the odd 'quirk' or two (maybe they've ironed them out by now). Enjoy ;-)

The exam I took allowed the abbreviated commands.

Remember to save your config and log off at the end of simulations!

I took the single exam option & passed with time to spare.
Community Veteran

CCNA

Thanks for the help.

Are you able to bring up the help command options on the simulators?
grey_gorilla
Dabbler

CCNA

Are you able to bring up the help command options on the simulators?

I think I typed '?' for the hell of it and there was some output...
The_10th
Grafter

Re: CCNA

...Remember IP subnet zero...

ip subnet-zero
- allowing you to use the first and last subnet which wasn't in the objectives pre 2004 as I understand. This requires a bit of 're-learning' if you understood not to use the .0 and .<last subnet> in previous exams.

The Todd Lammle book has a good subnetting in your head bit involving subtracting the mask from 256 leaving you with the Subnet block size. Then the hosts are the subnet +1 upto the broadcast domain for the subnet which is one less than the next subnet. Hope that is as clear as mud!