cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C media AC 97 drivers

N/A

C media AC 97 drivers

Sad hull peeps ive got a problem, ive got onboard sound form Cmedia with my motherboard, ive tried lots of diferent drivers but my sound is terrible, actually as long as i play everything at half volume it sounds pretty good, increase the volume, distortion and crackles. the main problem is im an avid gamer and use teamspeak but i cant get the mic to work it was working with one driver but the sound was too bad, now ive found a driver that gives me ok sound i cant get the mic, anybody else had this problem or anybody have an idiot proof solution, ive recently added 3.1 speakers but i cant see how this would adversly affect anything, please help.
4 REPLIES
N/A

C media AC 97 drivers

Drivers are specific to chip models and variants. Therefore I am not suprised you get one part or the other working, you are most probably not using the correct drivers.
Anyway, sound quality comes at a cost. Cmedia are cheap solutions and couple this to low cost speakers and you get exactly what you are describing.
Disable the onboard sound and get a decent SoundBlaster & Speaker pacakage.
the_norris
Grafter

C media AC 97 drivers

Hi

As with all sound cards- be it on-board or a add in card. I find that it is best to use the external speaker (must be powered) to increase the volume.

Eg - set the volume control on the PC to not more that half way - 50% or lower if you get noise, crackles etc. Then use your volume control on the speakes to increase the volume.

Not sure if you know about electronics - The parts that increse the volume in a speaker unit or hi-fi - normalu have very big heatsinks on them to keep them cool - higher the volume the hotter they get.

So a PC Add-in card or on-board sound soluation does not have the space for a hi-fi class heatsink - so the max volume / quality will be lower.

Also most sound equipment works better when the volume in not set to Max.. I could explain more if you what.

Phil
N/A

C media AC 97 drivers

Volume and quality are related to the THD (Total harmonic distortion) of the sound equipment. A low THD figure on the equipment will mean that the max volume you can use before distortion appears will also be low.
Low cost stuff, mainly for PC's, tend to have a low THD. HiFi stuff can have very high THD figures.
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/techtalk/THD/
the_norris
Grafter

C media AC 97 drivers

Thanks cqg4uzg

Thats a good link. Was going to go in the frequency and stuff - but can't spell most of that tech stuff. Smiley

The point i was hopeing to get across was that the sound output form a PC will never be as good as a hi-fi or use of external kit.

Phil