cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C&C Generals - pc shutsdown when running

N/A

This is now freaking me out:

My laptop (Acer Aspire 1524Wlmi) keeps shutting down when trying to run C&C Generals. The OS is XP Svc Pack 2 + updates, Direct X is upto date, I've updated C&C to the latest patch... makes no difference C&C displays the splash screen then around 2 min's later my PC shutsdown.

I've run a soak test for 48 hours doing an intensive memory test with no problems, I've more than adequate swap space. All I can think is my NVIDIA drivers (The laptop has a GeForce Go5700 graphics card) are the cause...

Anyone had any similiar problems - and if so did you resolve them & how?
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Heat would be my first guess.

You laptop may be overheating. Try running something like motherboard monitor to see what you temps are like or see if you have something from the manufacturer that shows temps . If you have a desk fan, try raising the laptop onto 2 books with a large gap underneath and pointing the fan at the PC. If it does not fail in this state it is a heat problem.

Also what memory test have you run? If you have not used memtest86+ try that.
N/A

similiar thing has been happened to me... if i remember correctly i used the update facility and it stopped doing it.,,

Also took the side off of my PC as well cause it was getting rather warm!
N/A

It was memtest86+ - passed with no problems.

I've updated C&C to the latest build - still does it.

Doesn't appear to be overheating as nothing else causes it to happen, including other games including quake etc.

I've noticed other people have this problem with the nvidia drivers so going to look at those tonight.