cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a router

N/A

Buying a router

I am about to invest in my first router. I have two PC's (Win XP Home and Win 2k Pro) connected through a Netgear Hub. I want either of them to be able to access the net. In the future I may want to connect my PS2.

My question is this. How on earth do I decide which router to go for - apart from only wanting one with a single ethernet portHuh

thanks

steve
5 REPLIES
N/A

Buying a router

Check this link out for an unbiased view, and hopefully one will take your
fancy. Personally I would go for ........(no better not that would be biased). Wink
http://www.adslguide.org/hardware/reviews/
N/A

Buying a router

If you don't mind keeping one pc on while going on the other.....

use internet connection sharing, then you can go on the net with your hub, on all 3.
N/A

Buying a router

Scan seem to be doing a resonably cheap modem /router with 4 ports built into it

http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=70361

Its based on the conextant chipset, and is prety much straight forward to config.
N/A

Buying a router

I also found ADSL Guide a help when I started.

About a year ago I statred with broad and at that time the only choice in my opinion was the Netgear DG814. It is a 4port all-in-one box. The main reason I chose it was by far the easiest to for a novice setup using internet explorer, and in the very unlikely chance you have a problem their help desk is very helpful where you can phone up and speak to a real person. (The problem I had turned out to be nothing to do with there hardware but they were still helpful).
I have bee using for a year and am very happy with it. They now do 2 wireless versions. Wireless is handy but slower for networking, there are two common standards 10&54MBps. NICS are 10/100 and usually opperate at 100MBps. but remember any of these wil be faster than your broadband connection.
I now there is now more of a choice such as Belkin or D-link., but I thought it might help to get info from someone who has had one in constant use for a year.
N/A

Re: Buying a router

My question is this. How on earth do I decide which router to go for - apart from only wanting one with a single ethernet portHuh

If you're specifically interested in routers with just one port, DSLsource has a couple of models which might be of interest. There's the SpeedTouch 510 v4 single port router at £60+VAT, or something calling itself the Etec USB and 1 Ethernet port Router at the princely sum of £40+VAT.

(I'd go for the SpeedTouch)