cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Laptop

N/A

Buying Laptop

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a laptop for around £1000 mark, will be using it mostly for video editing and making up dvds, may be some games.

I have been looking and quite fancy an Acer, has any one had problems with these machines? There are so many to choose from and everyone of them seem really good.

Any recommendations please,

regards Linda
14 REPLIES
N/A

Buying Laptop

Acer machines are not too bad, do you have a spec in mind? I think for you task you have in mind, you may need to up the amount to around £1200-1500
N/A

Buying Laptop

Hi Aaron,

Not exactly sure what I am looking for, but was thinking of an

AMD 64bit Athlon processor
at least 80GB hard drive
Firewire port
512MB memory
DVD-RW

Some of the laptops I have looked at have dedicated NVIDIA Geforce FX Go5700 64MB graphics cards and others are intergrated, not sure which is the best option?
N/A

Buying Laptop

Well the overall spec you have in mind sounds good, although it'll drain the batteries I would imagine with an AMD Chip. I would try and get more memory if you can, really you want to look at 1GB.

You want to aim for a good video setup, nVidia or Radeon is probably your best bet. I would take a look at both their websites to gauge what they do for laptops. To be honest, graphics cards for laptops is not something I know a great deal about.
N/A

Buying Laptop

Will have a look at the websites to see what they say.

I will have another trawl through the websites tomorrow and try and not get too distracted by the shiny new machines............... which might be asking to much......... Cheesy

Thanks for your time Aaron

Regards Linda
N/A

Buying Laptop

If you can get a graphics card that doesn't use dynamic (ie some of the system ram) then you would be far better off.

Acer laptops look nice and generally behave themselves however I do know that they customer support lines are a joke :?
N/A

Buying Laptop

my Acer Ferrari is brilliant !
I have done video editing (in a field !) with it before and it is fine with premiere pro 7.
It has firewire and a DVD writer (mine didnt come with a DL writer but maybe they do now)

It also takes memory stick / SD / MMC / CF which makes it great for working with digital cameras too !

It's also in spiffy Ferrari red.
N/A

Buying Laptop

Hi guys,

Rob, is it just getting through to a person or are they not great to deal with?? I was thinking that a dedicated graphics card would be the way to go as I think its the one with its own memory (please enlighten me if wrong).

evilc, just had a look at the Ferrari and it looks really smart, love the colour, if I got one the kids(19 & 23) would be nicking it :lol: and hubby would never give me a shot.

Linda
N/A

Buying Laptop

Well here is a tip for ya dont buy them from toys r us . Good specs but shit companys make them. We had one and the network card was broke.
Community Veteran

Buying Laptop

The company you refer to is actually "Medion" and they are very good as far as after sails go. A friend of mine has a lap top from ToysRus Brilliant spec.
3Gig Pentium 4, DVD rewrite and connectors for everything.
However his LAN connector went faulty and Medion replaced the whole machine with no quibble.

And it is now selling for £699
N/A

Buying Laptop

Community Veteran

Buying Laptop

N/A

Buying Laptop

We had the 60 gig hard drive. They gave us a refund in the end which was good but took them ages.
N/A

Buying Laptop

Apple's top of the range iBook is £999 and includes excellent software. Graphics card is 32MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9200, RAM will need upgrading too, but the rumours are that new models are to be launched soon with both graphics card and RAM upped.
LiamM
Grafter

Buying Laptop

I'm gonna get me a Dell Latitude X1 shortly. Very very nice.

They have a good range of laptops, with next business day service. Aftersales was good. My dad ordered one which arrived damaged, they quickly sorted us out though.