cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burying Cat 5e

grahambritten
Grafter

Burying Cat 5e

I’m having a garage built at the bottom of my garden and before the service trench for the electricity, phone and alarm gets filled in I thought that putting a cat 5e cable in would be a good idea.

Anyone got any experience of burying cat 5e? Details of what cable type or specification should be used would be appreciated. Should I use ducting or just lay it in the trench?

I do have a wireless ADSL router but I think this is an opportunity not to be missed.

Thanks in advance...

Graham
9 REPLIES
N/A

hi

dont know to much about the cable but definetly duct it [about 18" deep and into the premise [ie garage and house [if it stops outside it can allow water access into duct/cable [also if u have a duct and cable goes phoey [technical term ] then u just tie cable one end and pull through new one using same duct [i use ducting for all services except gas [has to be porous vented and yelllow ]and i do cable /water work so know the advantage of not having to redig something when it goes phooey [also do a little sketch if the distance is more than 5 meters with measurements form a fixed point [for future reference and a godsend if moving house and passing it on to the new occupiers so theyknow et all
N/A

Burying Cat 5e

I have done it and used simple plastic pipe about the same size as a water pipe.
Just make sure its put in slightly up in the centre so water runs out and not down in the centre so water collects in it.
N/A

Burying Cat 5e

You should ideally lay it in armoured trunking, but normal is ok
Also if you can leave a draw rope in it so you can add to in the future.
Be careful with moisture and water as it can cause problems with cat5
holdtight
Grafter

Burying Cat 5e

Yes ive also done this before just using reinforced garden hose pipe to run the cable through and it worked a treat
It was as clean and dry as the day i laid it when it was dug up again some years after

As has been pointed out bear in mind water laying anywhere

Bill.
N/A

Burying Cat 5e

Use cat6 instead!
N/A

Burying Cat 5e

Buzzons

"Good point"!!!!
Community Veteran

Burying Cat 5e

Unless the cost is prohibitive for you, lay two cables. That way you have spare capacity / redundancy.

I would also recommend running the phone in Cat5/6 rather than cheap phone cable.
(I have done this when ever running phone extension cables.)

I am not sure what their pricing is like never having purchased Cat5 cable personally.
(Its always fell out the back of a contractors van when I have needed it. Cheesy )
But screwfix sell it.

(Unscreened)
Cat5e UTP 50m £11.40
Cat5e UTP 100m £20.69
Cat5e UTP 305m £39.94
(Foil screen)
Cat5e FTP 200m £53.99

Prices are from catalogue 82 and includes VAT.

Chilly
grahambritten
Grafter

Burying Cat 5e

Many thanks for everyones contributions and advice.

Just waiting for the mini digger to finish the trench Cheesy

Graham
N/A

Burying Cat 5e

you could of course do it the pro way and lay fiber, its really quite cheep Smiley