cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burning files from a network drive

zpeterk
Grafter

I've tried nero, B's recorder gold, XP and media player and none of them will burn files from a network drive. I can over come this by copying them locally but this isn't the perfect solution, does anyone how burn them directly?

Cheers
7 REPLIES
Rich
Grafter

Burning from a network drive - sounds like a good way to create coasters to me!
holdtight
Grafter

Give these a look they may help you http://www.butler.edu/ir/burning/CDBurnfromHD.pdf
http://www.learn.londonmet.ac.uk/student/resources/doc/burncd-HOWTO.html

I think it may have something to do with access shares other than that i dont know
Community Veteran

I don't have any problems burning direct to CD from my network shares so I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. They are all on the same local network and the shared volumes are on a Linux box using Samba but as far as windows is concerned it looks no different. I also have 100Mbs Ethernet between the boxes.

Most recent CD burners have buffer underrun protection so even if you can't get the data quick enough the writing will still continue when it is.

I have used both nero and Easy cd creator to burn CDs.
holdtight
Grafter

I burn sometimes from my laptop to my desktops DVD writer using nero over a wireless connection and dont have any problems its just the same as copying files across

But where there could be a problem when it doesnt work i dont know especially if you already have the two systems talking to each other
N/A

If nero wont show the network neighbourhood, then map your share to a drive letter.

Nero should happily read from this.
zpeterk
Grafter

I'm using nero 6.0.0.19 and you can see the mapped drive no probs but when you try to open the folder with lots of files in (3k5) it then hangs, they are also stored on a linux box using samba on a wired 100Mbs network
Community Veteran

Sounds like it is the number of files it has a problem with and 3K5 is a LOT if it's in a single directory. Is the a smaller folder you can try to write to CD to prove this.

Do you have direct access to the directory concerned via a linux prompt. If so, can you split it into several directories and try again.