cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband sharing with a Draytec Vigor

N/A

Hello!

This is my first post so if it doesn't look right please forgive me...

I'm an absolute computer novice but have been using the same Plus account for three years now and can honestly not fault it. Since I first got broadband I have been running numerous computers WiFi style (with a Draytec Vigor 2600We) and although that worked for the internet sharing using WiFi client hardware (Linksys cards and others) the connection was unstable and when using games like BF2 or Half-Life (back when I first got the broadband I was still playing CS until they did that stupid STEAM thing) I would get a connection problem about every two minutes causing my game to loose connection. Strangly, by using ALT+TAB to switch back to the desktop and then clicking the desktop and then switching back this would save the game from disconnecting but I would be dead and this stopped me from flying anything!!

Anyhow I've since decided to use a network cable to connect my machine to the router and that has solved an infinate amount of problems however when I got more cable to connect another machine it won't let both machines connect. The first machine in the house to be switched on works fine however any subsequent connections give an error stating an IP conflict...

I assume this is a simple thing but I am a novice as already stated so I'd be chuffed if somone could help me out in plain English!!

Cheers for reading, hope somone can help me!!!!

Rich
7 REPLIES
N/A

Can you do start -> run -> ipconfig on all machines and post here what you get back from each one.
N/A

Its very simple and its telling you the problem. 2 pcs have the same ip address which isnt allowed. Connect the first pc then do a ipconfig /all from the cmd prompt. Make a note of the ip address gateway and subnet. Turn on the next pc and in the network properties and give it a fixed ip type the ip address you just got but add one to the last number. so if the ip was 10.0.0.1 then make the next pc 10.0.0.2 if that is the same as the default gateway add another one on to it.
N/A

It sounds like you're using fixed IP addresses. I've never used a draytek but I assume the DHCP function will be enabled by default - if you set all your PC's up to use DHCP (TCP/IP properties in your network control panel) this will make your life a lot easier..
N/A

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to do the described thing a bit later on and post the results. Thanks very much indeed!
N/A

I never recomend using dhcp as you can do any port forwards with it. We couldnt use it at work as there is a security risk of any pc jioning the network that way.

Its ok for people who have no knowledge but if it playes up its a pain
N/A

certainly with wireless, with properly configured access points you can lock down access to mac addresses and/or by using encryption keys, and where you need to do port forwarding, just use a reserved DHCP address (when the OP is feeling a little more confident) Wink
Community Veteran

if you get into trouble reconfiguring the DrayTek their forum (http://www.draytek.co.uk/forum/) is also full of friendly souls