cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus & Linux

N/A

Broadband Plus & Linux

I'm looking at setting up a spare PC to run Linux, which I would like to connect to my Broadband Plus account using a spare ADSL modem (Probably a Speedtouch). I have had good experiences with Fedora Core 1 & 2 and am thinking of downloading version 4. The spare (Linux) PC will only be used to access the web when the main machine is being used for playing games etc, so until I get a router it will have its own modem. Has anyone had any experience of using Linux to access their Plusnet BB service? Any help with settings etc would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Mark Douthwaite
7 REPLIES
N/A

Broadband Plus & Linux

You can only have one ADSL device connected at once so if you plan to use this pc you will have to unplug the other modem for it to work.

I have connected with varios version of Linux with no problems but that is using a router. The only problem you have is getting the drivers etc for the modem.

I router would be as cheap to buy as a modem as you can get some good cheap ones for £30
N/A

Broadband Plus & Linux

Thanks for this. How is the router accessed from the Linux box? From your comments this would appear to be a simpler process than seting up a modem. Never having networked any PC's I'm afraid this is all new to me.
Thanks.

Mark Douthwaite.
N/A

Broadband Plus & Linux

The easiest thing to do is to configure the Linux box as a DHCP client, and use a modem-router that can act as a DHCP server (most of them). During the boot process (or even dynamically when the system is up) it will get a dynamic IP address from the router, with a lease time which is ofen 24h by default, or infinite. Many routers have 4 ports at the back, but can use more than 4 IP addresses. A small hub can let you extend the number of devices (hosts, printers...) you want to connect. And if the router is also wifi, you can probably connect up to 32 or more devices. But they all share the same ADSL pipe.
N/A

Broadband Plus & Linux

Thanks very much. Sounds simple enough Cheesy
Denzil
Grafter

Broadband Plus & Linux

As others have said it is generally easier to set up a router in Linux as everything is speaking the same language - TCP/IP, and it is easier to connect more than one computer. If you want to try the modem (presumably USB) do some web searching to make sure there are drivers for it. I believe the Speedtouch is quite well catered for, however.
N/A

Broadband Plus & Linux

I agree with the comments about getting a router, but in my experience, there is no DHCP configuration necessary. Every Linux I've used has done all this behind the scenes and the Internet has been available right away.
N/A

Broadband Plus & Linux

It may depend on the Linux distribution and the choices made during the 1st install. On Mandriva it would be configured as a DHCP client by default. On SUSE you may have to start YAST and Network Device followed by Automatic Address Setup in the configuration of the network card. It is good to know that all this is not magic.