cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bored.... so seeking a new distro

N/A

Okay guys and gals.... one bored techie looking for a new toy... anyone got any linux distro's which they feel are particularly (or for that matter any other x86/AMD64 compatible OS) is worth taking a look at...

So far I've used RedHat and SUSE extensively, gone off Fedora and played with Mandrake / FreeBSD...

(I'm not a fan of GUI's so if I can't control everthing from the cli I'll probably resent it (with the obvious exception of controling the GUI environment))
9 REPLIES
N/A

Give solaris a kick about, failing that take on a new hobbie like a mental bsd firewall from a miniITX board
Community Veteran

I would second Solaris.
But check the hardware compatibility lists as Solaris on x86 is very picky.
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/
(Note that Solaris will not install on miniITX `out of the box`)

Chilly
N/A

ubuntu is very popular at the local lug.

what about macos ? those minimacs look suitably cheap.
N/A

Rather not deal with Solaris at home, I've got around 5 Sun Enterprise servers at work doing various mundane tasks... and due to our support dept's stupid policy of putting servers I control into rooms I can't access I'm stuck with ssh so Solaris and me are old friends Wink
N/A

OSX is pretty good, but for a hardened UNIX/Linux guru it can be VERY restrictive and feels very tame. Although it comes with GCC for porting to PPC Wink

Gentoo and Ubuntu both suck IMHO.

Go for more BSD exploration, Solaris is OK on x86, and i had it going on my Eden based ITX board.

Mac MINI looks like a pile of shit, nothing more than an SBC with a slot loading DVDR. And just for the record, i thought yellowdog for PPC was crap. (RH port-ish thing)

Anyways, happy hunting... My final suggestion for a hobby project...

Goto www.linuxfromscratch.org and build a Linux from source Smiley I had a laugh doing that not too long ago for an ARM based system
zpeterk
Grafter

if you like arm have you tried a slug?
N/A

cleary gentoo, and openbsd
N/A

Serious command line work can be derived from using Gentoo, any BSD OS, LFS and even Debian and Slackware.

Another appealing option might be to try OpenDarwin - it's the open source core of Mac OS X, based on BSD, and it has an x86 version.
N/A

I might try openDawin on an old server see how it benchmarks against free, open and netBSD.

Results to follow (providing i can be arsed)