cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting problem

N/A

Booting problem

My problem:
When I boot up and try to go into the BIOS by pressing (F2 on this pc rather than del) nothing happens. it then goes to the start up menu page where you have the choice of "Start Windows Normaly" Etc. but the arrow keys will not move the cursopr up or down.
It looks like it is not responding to the keyboard.
I have tried two different working keyboards, USB and PS2 b ut still no response.

Can anyone suggest to me what might be wrong or what else I can check, I would be most grateful for any advice.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Booting problem

Do the keyboards you have tried have multi function "f" keys?

If so, you should find a modifier or mode key on the board somewhere to change the associated function of the "f" keys. Try pressing this just after boot, and before pressing "f2".
holdtight
Grafter

Booting problem

When your pc boots do any of the lights on the keyboard flash briefly ?

Ive seen this problem before and its been sorted by clearing the cmos and letting the motherboard redetect your devices as it seems to get stuck sometimes for some reason

Ensure the power lead is disconnected then remove the cmos battery from the motherboard for about 30 seconds replace then reboot
hopefully the mobo will then redetect your keyboard and it will then be operational again

You will need to enter the bios and reset to your original preferences afterwards as it will be reset to default settings
Community Veteran

Booting problem

Hey Bill.

I've never come across that before.

Anyhow if that route were needed, I think the OP might be better advised to look at his mobo manual, and find the relevant jumper for clearing the bios.
Flipping the battery out should be done only if no jumper is available really. (The added risk of slipping and damaging components whilst removing battery is best avoided if poss).

Also, if going this route it would be wise to record all the original bios settings before doing anything.

Also if the power lead go's to a switched socket, it would be better to switch the socket off, but leave the lead plugged in. (Nicely earthed).
The_10th
Grafter

Booting problem

Not meaning to sound cheeky, but is the keyboard plugged into its correct PS/2 port and not the mouse port? A USB keyboard may not work on older BIOS'. When you get the start windows msg, press caps lock and see if it goes on/off.
holdtight
Grafter

Booting problem

Hi Ian

Yes some very good points and i should have been a bit more descriptive in my reply

Going by the op`s post i assumed he is familiar with the bios and its settings so didnt go into that also if he cant get into the bios now he cant see or record its current settings anyway

The reason i mentioned taking the cmos battery out instead of clearing by jumper is because ive come across this several times before not just with keyboards but mice hard drives etc not being detected on boot up and jumper moving hasnt cleared it but cmos battery removal has
I do agree with you though try by jumper first

A very good point about the power lead and it being nicely earthed, i dont usually as im very carefull but yes i agree it is far better to have it connected but switched off at the mains before attempting anything inside the pc

Bill.
Community Veteran

Booting problem

if he cant get into the bios now he cant see or record its current settings anyway

Oh yer! Shockedops:

Smiley hehe.
shellsong
Grafter

Booting problem

I'm in favour of unplugging the power lead, unless it's inconvenient, and "grounding" myself to the computer, preferably with a proper wrist strap. The main thing is to ensure that you and what you are working with or on are at the same potential-- wrist straps do this via a 1Mohm resistor or thereabouts!
N/A

Booting problem

If you don't have all the proper grounding kit, then you should leave the power lead plugged in but switched off at the mains if you're working in the guts of a computer. This ensures an earth connection.
Community Veteran

Booting problem

LOL :lol: The OP has the attention of 4 brightsparks, but hasn't revisited the thread since starting it!

If he doesn't respond soon I am leaving! Tongue :lol:
N/A

Booting problem

Holdtight - that was the answer ---reset the bios it had got stuck somehowq, after that it was plain sailing
thanks - these forums are really good
holdtight
Grafter

Booting problem

No problem glad it sorted out your system
Community Veteran

Booting problem

@ peterhay

My above post was just a little humour based on a lot of people of late, finding it hard to get a response at all, let alone the response of four brightsparks.
It wasn't a dig at you at all. Wink

Glad Bill was able to help you!