cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting From Disk

N/A

Booting From Disk

Hi i have got my Acer laptop into a bit of trouble and it needs to be restored using the disks supplied by acer. After reading the instructions about booting from the recovery disks by doing what they have told me to do i get an error

when the computer starts up it gives the usual speil about Via Rhine II fast ethernet adapter... but underneath that i get theis

PXE-E61: Media test Failure, Check cable

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE Rom

i have never had this before and i no the dvd-rw drive is working perfectly...

Does anyone have any suggestion to what the problem could be?

Thanx a lot
Kyle
8 REPLIES
Highlighted
N/A

Booting From Disk

Hi there,

Prior to this are you seeing Boot from CDrom None
N/A

Booting From Disk

No this all i get any more ideas?
N/A

Booting From Disk

Looks like you lappy is trying to boot from Lan.

if you can get into the bios and select the boot options.

Ensure boot from CDrom is first, HDD next and disable the boot from lan option if it is there.

Entering the bios setup will depend on how your lappy is set up. But F2 or del on boot may work.
N/A

Booting From Disk

This error message has gone now i have disabled boot on lan.. But now it just takes me straight to windows even if i press F12 and chose to boot from CD Rom there>.Huh :?:

Thanx again but you got any more ideas?
N/A

Booting From Disk

In the boot options is the cd rom set as first boot device?

If it is and the system wont boot from the restore disk then either the drive is defective or the disk is knackered.

Have you got an ordinary XP disc kicking around to test with?
N/A

Booting From Disk

Just tried with an old windows 98 disk i had lying around and it allowed to to boot from disk..

Cant see how these disks can be knackered as they are genuine acer disks and havent been out of the box since i got the laptop which is still inder 12 months old

is there any way of obtaining some acer recovery disks?

Thanx
KYle
N/A

Booting From Disk

From memory, there is a strangeness with Acer kit booting from recovery disc.

Do you have a couple of discs?

Try disc 2 first and see what that does. Failing that give the help desk a ring on 0870 853 1000. If the restore discs are defective they should send you out new ones.

If your still having diffs PM me with your Model and serial number and date of purchase and I'll see what I can do.
N/A

Booting From Disk

i have tow discs and have tried them both stilll no luck.. looks like ill have to ring the help desk