Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bootable CD / DVD

aviationradio
Grafter

Bootable CD / DVD

Hello.
Can i ask for help please - i would like to ask if anyone can tell me how to create a Bootable CD or DVD disc please that i can use with Norton Ghost.

At the present i am using a Bootable Floppy but i would like to get away from the floppy and move onto a CD or DVD Bootable disc.

I use Norton Ghost quite a lot to do full backups and restores of my machine.

btw i am using Windows XP Home.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Terry.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Bootable CD / DVD

Norton ghost gives you the option to make a cd unless you are using and old version.

see to make a cd
http://www.pcsupportadvisor.com/bootable_%20CD_page1.htm
Community Veteran

Bootable CD / DVD

Not certain if this will work for ghost :? I must try it and see because I use it with the floppy it creates and many machines now have no floppy. Sad

I have created a bootable CD using Nero CD Software and made it inlude a floppy that I built up with CD drivers and Fdisk etc that I used to use for partitioning and formatting Hard drives in the past.
I'll try it with the Ghost software and see if I can do the same with that.
aviationradio
Grafter

Bootable CD / DVD

Thank you John - much appreciated.

Terry.
Community Veteran

Bootable CD / DVD

Ok just tried to make a bootable CD with the ghost files included and it seems to work fine on my main machine but for some reason not on my laptop?

What I did was to insert the Ghost floppy into A drive then fire up nero.
selected to create bootable CD from the options and incuded the files from the floppy.
Then chose the option to use the floppy boot files as the source.
Burned the CD and it boots up and opens ghost on my main machine.

As stated above my laptop gets confused with it and just produces a screen of garbage. It does boot happily though of the the one I created from my Fdisk and dos7 floppy so I'm still trying to find out why on that score.
aviationradio
Grafter

Bootable CD / DVD

Ok John,thanks for trying - i will give it a try tomorrow - i did earlier try simply making a copy of all the files on the bootable floppy on to a cd but this did not work.

Again thank you.

Terry.

PS my new machine does not have a floppy drive
holdtight
Grafter

Bootable CD / DVD

Ive just tried this with Acronis true image as a test to see if it could be done ok as it also makes bootable rescue floppies and is the same software type as ghost

Going the same route as John and using nero to create a boot disk from the Acronis floppy i made both a bootable CD and DVD disk

Both disks boot my main system and laptop (both xp) and open Acronis with no problems encountered

Copying the files from the ghost floppy directly to a CD wont work as your system needs to recognise the disk your using as being bootable which it isnt its just a normal CD thats why it didnt boot, this is where nero comes in to make the disk bootable

As all systems are different in one way or another i couldnt say for sure its going to work for you but going by my results and Johns i see no reason why you shouldnt do the same and have a bootable ghost disk

Bill.
Community Veteran

Bootable CD / DVD

Just an update on my method of creating the boot CD.

I have found that with Nero there is no need to specify the files to be included on the CD but just select the option to use bootable floppy option (one of two radio buttons) the step before going ahead with the burn.
This then produces a CD that boots up an opens Ghost exactly as though it was a floppy.

It still wont work on my laptop though and I can't see why this is.
Other boot CD's that I have create work fine on it :?
aviationradio
Grafter

Bootable CD / DVD

Allelujah - blimey - HI! LOL.
John i have done it dont know i got there but managed it in the end using Nero as you did - dont ask me if i could do it again as i dont know :-( so to be safe i have made four copies one for home use and one in each of the vaults of the HSBC - Barclays - and Loyds banks for safe keeping :-),who needs a floppy drive ?.

The bootable CDs also boot up my wifes desktop and Laptop systems.

Thank you John and thanks to all that offered there help.

Cheers.

Terry.
Community Veteran

Bootable CD / DVD

Can you make one that will work on my laptop then :roll:

I just can't figure this one out.
The Boot CD I made for Ghost works fine on anything but my laptop. However others I have made give no trouble Sad
aviationradio
Grafter

Bootable CD / DVD

John.
Have now learned how to create a bootable cd !! the first i created this afternoon was by sheer fluke !!.

It may be interesting to find out if my boot cds would work on your laptop - i could send you one if you sent me your address direct to my mailbox.

My mailing address is as follows.

info@hamsoft.co.uk

BTW i am in West Yorkshire just over the other side of them there mountains to yourself.

Cheers.

Terry.
aviationradio
Grafter

Bootable CD / DVD

Hello.
Someone galled Neil sent me a mail direct to my inbox - i have managed to loose it can you mail me again please Neil.

Terry.
Community Veteran

Bootable CD / DVD

Terry
Thanks for the offer.
I will post my mailing address in a PM to you rather than by email.