cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue screen crashes caused by adsl modem.

N/A

Hi,

Have a fairly new HP Pavillion running windows XP - having blue screen crashes at least once a day. Screen says it is down to the BT Voyager 105 ADSL modem (supplied by plus net).

Anyone know how to fix it?
19 REPLIES
N/A

So it isn't just me with them BSOD caused by BT Voyager 105.
Could you tell me more about the error you receive!
N/A

What's a BSOD?

Screen says - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical info: ***STOP: 0x000000D1 (ox00000003,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xF8312E84)

***USBPORT.SYS - Adress F8312E84 base at F830B000, datestamp - 41107d62 -

Does that mean anything to you?
N/A

BSOD means Blue Screen of Death

Anyway this problem usually occurs when the drivers for the device are wrong, conflicting or need updating. You can get the latest drivers here:

http://www.voyager.bt.com/usb105/downloads.htm

Just click the correct unit and operating system you are using, download the drivers and install. Hopefully this should fix the issue.
N/A

I will give that a go and hope for the best.

Watch this space.

Cheers.
N/A

Same error as me 0x000000D1 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I have tried updating the drivers with no luck Sad
N/A

Try disabling anything you dont use in the bios like serial ports and see if that solves it.

Sometimes disabling everything but esential things in the bios will solve it and then bring them back online slowly one at a time.So you can disable network card sound card, printer port serial port unless you have a serial mouse, but often you can have 4 ports and not be using any.

If you think of IRQ's as doors then you have to doors with the same name. these doors can be changed but windows has to see them first.

If 2 have the same door number it cant see one of them as the other hides it. When you remove them all and put them back one by one it often finds them all and manages them ok.
N/A

I had exactly the same problems with the Binatone ADSL 500 USB Modem that plus net gave to me.

I never did get the root of the problem but moved to an ADSL Router and this has never crashed as all.
N/A

Interesting :shock:

I was getting the same BSOD and same error reports from last week.

I tried everything including installing XP from new and it done it straight away after the install was complete! I Googled the error and it came up with so many different results from software to hardware and temp problems. I decided to re-build the PC and give it a good clean out, everything except the motherboard was removed and cleaned ( to my shock the air filter in the Antec case had 2 inches of dust on it as I never knew the filter existed Smiley )

Put it all back together and it's been fine now for 30 plus hours :roll:

The only different thing that was done last week was I migrated back to Plusnet from F2S, I use a router so no drivers etc where altered.

I use Norton Ghost to image the drive and it's back to the image from last weeks problem, so it must have been heat? or badly inserted cable, card ?

Hopefully it is cured as I have not seen a BSOD since Windows XP was introduced :lol:
N/A

Its amazing what a bit of dust can do my sones pc crashed with Photoshop and I cleaned his fan and heat sync which droped the temp down over 7 degrees and the problems went away.

A good tip for everyone clean you fan cpu etc every few months. I found a good solution get a electric car tire compresser and attach the tool for blowing up foot balls then using a mains adabter or battery blow all the dust out
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

An error message with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in it, is nromaly caused by a conflict between two drivers loaded within your system, or not following the process to upgrade existing drivers properly (so require you uninstall them first).

This can normaly be fixed with updating drivers, loading updates in properly and in some cases installing drivers in different orders.

If this continues, short of removing the conflicting devices, it can't be fixed.

Kind Regards,
N/A

N/A

Yeah BSOD's can be for many things, one solution I would offer is Linux, you don't get BSOD's with that. If a driver conflicts it will tell you and just stop that particular part working, not take down your entire system. :-)
Community Veteran

But good luck getting the USB modem's going ;-)

Linux is much nicer IMO than windows, but usb modems can be a real stinker. If you have the money, I'd say to get a router (netgear DG834GT is good) and dump windows - I'm using suse 9.3 to type this and it's a damn site quicker on the same system than a install of win 98 that's only been installed a few months because I had to do a reformat and using the router rather than my old Binatone, the net seems quicker as well!

Just to note, I never had any BSOD's from my binatone...
N/A

Steer clear of Fedora though, had some issues with it and my D-Link Router. Seems some pages worked fine but half the net didnt, not tried Linux again since then, too much hassle lol

When it works it works, when it doesnt its worse than windows because you dont know what your doing. Unless of course your a smarty-pants :lol: