cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry PDA?

N/A

Blackberry PDA?

Hi,
Anyone got a Blackberry PDA?. Would like to ask them a couple of key questions regarding the GPRS and some of the onboard capabilities etc.
Thanks
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Blackberry PDA?

Hi there,
I'm afraid I don't have any experience with RIM's PDAs (I'm mainly a Palm OS user myself) but I do know that the forums at www.pdastreet.com have an active RIM section, so it might be worth asking questions there.

Thomas
N/A

Blackberry PDA?

I've got one, very nice too.

It's not enabled for voice, but I have got Corporate email, SMS text amd limitted Web browsing

What do you want to know?

Jeff
N/A

Blackberry PDA?

Hi Jeff,
Because its got permanent GPRS I would imaging some nice capabilities to hookup GPS etc. Was interested to hear what GPS software (TomTom like) and connection hardware (Receivers) were available for it. Maybe there are some forums on this you are aware of?
Thanks.
N/A

Blackberry PDA?

GPRS and GPS are two totaly different things.

GPRS stands for "General Packet Radio Service" and is a technology used to make data transmition accross the cellular network more efficient.

GPS stands for "Global Postioning System", and is used to transmit time codes, from which a receiver can use to triangulate its position on the planet.
N/A

Blackberry PDA?

Sure I know..
But the combination of the 2 gives some neat options in terms of 2 way communication on devices such as Pocket PC. Interested to see how things map for Blackberry.
N/A

Blackberry PDA?

Can you give any examples of that?

PDA and phone solutions are nothing new, so using a PDA and Blackberry gives no advantage to what I see.
Stef
Grafter

Blackberry

I've got a Blackberry (and a VOIP Phone!)

Why do I love my Blackberry?

Instant email on the move is ace and very easy to set up. It means I can do and respond to basic emails on the go (e.g. on the bus, in Starbucks, whatever!). I have a very competitive fixed price tarrif from T-mobile which gives me unlimited email. It does this by only sending you the email in chunks as you want to read them (Massivly saving in GPRS transmit bandwidth). It also works with .PDF and .DOC Word attachments too - Fine for reading documents that are not too formatted.

The other great thing is the contact manager/diary that is integrated with Outlook via a custom version of intellisync.

You can browse on it too and it is quite surprising just how much web stuff you can access (I have it set up for news, train timetables and live departures, directory enquiries etc...).

Sure it's not a 'full' PDA with all the bells and whistles but what it does do it does very well and reliably...

ps Browsing is obviously slow - so best to work with graphics turned off with sites you bookmark that you know work (Works with WAP & HTML)

It's a mobile email 'appliance'.

Don't expect it to support as many options as a PDA (e.g. GPRS for instance).

Cheers, Stefan

(If you get one you will be 'hooked' everybody else is that's why they are called 'crack'berries!
N/A

Blackberry PDA?

I've never used any extra applications with my Backberry, but Thomas gave a good link earlier which gave loads of apps, some free.

If the interest is positioning, then check with your network what services they can suppy. It is technically possible to triangulate your position using any GSM device - you are always connected to all the cells in any location area, the device performs measurements to work out which radio channels to use. O2 use the technology to provide their "at home" product, where you get cheaper calls from a given post code. The resolution is much less than GPS, I think it's give or take 100 metres.

One good thing about the Blackberry is that it will receive emails & SMS texts when International Roaming.

I am supplied a Backberry by work, the bill is about £15 a month, a monthly average on 300 or 400 emails. It's set to not receive mails when docked. The synch with Outlook is great, so I can keep up to date with my calender & tasks.

It's tricky to use at first, but I wouldn't be without it now

Jeff
Stef
Grafter

Blackberry PDA?

One good thing about the Blackberry is that it will receive emails & SMS texts when International Roaming.

Jeff

Yup, I used mine on the beach in Tenerife, no extra charges!
(sad or wot?) ;-)
N/A

Blackberry PDA?

(sad or wot?)

I suppose it depends, if you were using peronal mail or keeping in touch with work., if the latter then I'm afraid it is sad Cheesy
Community Veteran

Blackberry PDA?

(sad or wot?) ;-)

Reminds me of the time I went to Brighton with my Dad... while he was sitting down enjoying a drink or two, I whipped out my HP 2210 and Siemens S55 and logged on to the 'net... I specifically remember using MSN Messenger to tease Ian Wild about being out in the sun while he was stuck at work (though that was to get my own back for something Wink ).

Thomas
N/A

Blackberry PDA?

Almost going back to the original question - haven't yet seen this on a blackberry but one of my colleagues has a Sony P900 that he uses for email, etc. but he has installed the Wayfinder route planning software and got himself a bluetooth GPS receiver. The two devices talk to each other and he now has full SatNav.

When you enter the route you want to take, the Wayfinder downloads the maps you need (along with the voice directions) and then uses the GPS to track where you are. If you go off route it merely downloads any additional maps/ instructions as and when needed using GPRS.

Works really well and I have been toying with it for a while - but I don't realy need SatNav for my 15 min drive to work!!!

The blackberry doesn't have bluetooth though, so wouldn't be able to use for that, but I'm sure that is only a matter of time.

R.
N/A

Blackberry PDA?

I've been sorting out my Blackberry recently, I got my hands on a couple of the colour versions ( Blueberrys?), but I didn't find them as easy to use as the original monochrome.

Anyway, whilst looking around, I saw somewhere ( sorry can't be specific) that you can connect to some GPRS receivers via a cable. I don't think that's the solution you would be looking for, the set up would be quite bulky.

Here's looking forward to a Bluetooth connection in the future.

Jeff
N/A

Blackberry PDA?

Hi thelakes,
Do you have info ref the wayfinder stuff?; web address etc.
thanks