cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bits and pieces

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Bits and pieces

Over many years of building home PC's/upgrading and generally tinkering I have accumulated several large boxes of parts: graphic/sound/TV cards, internal CD/DVD players, modems, motherboards, memory and an incredible tangle of leads etc. etc. and the list goes on over getting on for 10 years or more.

Since I'm not interested in boot sales etc. or any effort really, is there any viable reason why I shouldn't just ditch the whole lot in the nearest skip? or could it be of interest to others, given that much of it has been overtaken technically, and the vast majority pre-USB.

Could probably build a couple of working PC's out of it all, but do I or anybody else want to!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Bits and pieces

TV cards are always a good thing to hang onto. So are cables, dvd drives etc.

You can always build a PC cheaply with old CD /DVD drives and then gradually upgrade over time.

Heck if I had any spare cash right now I'd be sniffing after your tv cards lol.

I got a big box of old pentium 2 motherboards and processors under the stairs myself which I've still not got rid of (don't think anyone is really interested in that kind of thing these days..).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Bits and pieces

Actually, I'll second that on the TV cards - got a media box that really could do with one. Try posting a list in the for sale thread, unless it's just a case of you wanting to get rid of the lot. If that's the case let us know how much you want to cover postage and what have you (I don't drive, and am in Sheffield...) and someone will definitely take an interest.

Hope this helps,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Bits and pieces

Well, following so much interest in the TV card I looked through the "heap" of bit's and to my surprise it's not where I expected it to be. I know it's a Huppage (spelling?) PCI card, yonks old, and in fairness I could never get it to work properly (wouldn't like to commit myself to blaming the card though) it's got to be around somewhere, give me time and it'll surface somewhere. In the meantime, I don't want anything for the rest (or the TV card) if anyone can make use of any of it then your're welcome.

The major part is an Asus P3V4X AGP/4X motherboard (jumper free PC133) complete with manual and Pentium 3 processor (can't remember the speed) still fitted, AGP Rage 128 graphics card, PCI ADSL modem (make unknown, might be US Robotics) a total of 512Mb ram in 3 sticks, one of each DVDrom and CDrom internal players.

In the other box (much older) I found the weight of bits (not all computer) had cracked the motherboard right across, this lot harks back to Pentium 75, and looks as if there's some water damage in the box, I'd feel guilty offering this, so it's going to be dumped ASAP.

Can I leave it to you two to discuss with each other who if anything is wanted, and get back to me by PM...no hurry I'm away for a couple of weeks.

But I still am mystified about the TV card, it's not in my present PC!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.