cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit of PC fault finding help please

N/A

Ok, Intel Celeron PC.

Will not boot the sceen up, it powers up, I have checked the HDD in my own pc, can read that no problems, I dont have the facility to check the CPU.

All it does it power the pc up, and thats it, no screen, nothing, its not the power supply, have changed that for a different one with same results.

Any ideas peeps? btw, its a "Tiny" pc that has failed inside its warranty, but as most know, Tiny have folded, so its down to me to sort it as cheaply as possible for relatives!

as far as i can tell also, its a 2.4ghz cpu, on a microstar atx 7095 mobo with 256mb ram
22 REPLIES
N/A

also while i am at it,

It is beginning to sound like a cpu/mobo problem, if it is and I replace, i presume its ok to replace both with an AMD board and cpu, I dont HAVE to go with Intel do i? its just that i have just been looking at the cpu's and the amd are still cheaper than celeron?
Community Veteran

Not a lot to go on but......

Try removing all PCI cards, graphic cards, disconnect all disks & cables (except power to mobo), remove any AGP graphics cards (probaly on-board graphics anyway), remove all memory and disconnect any case fans (leave the CPU fan connected) so you are just left with the CPU & heatsink and PSU connected.

Does anything happen then when you switch it on? What should happen if the MOBO, CPU and BIOS is still good is you get beeps from the internal speaker indicating hardware is missing e.g. no memory, no graphics etc.

If still nothing, find the link on the mobo to erase the BIOS settings and try again.

If it is completely silent and you are confident enough, try removing the CPU and refitting it (making sure you fix the heatsink on properly) and try again.

If it is still dead it is either the CPU, motherbooad or BIOS that has gone to meet it's maker and without replacement parts to try that is as far as the diagnosis can go.

If by some miricle you do get beeps it means the core componants are working. Just re-introduce each componant, one at a time, starting with memory, then graphics, then each PCI card, finally with disks to se if you dicover when it fails to start, you then have the faulty componant.
Community Veteran

Changing the mobo is possible but there are problems that may occur when doing so. The main one is windows failing to recognise the hard disk because the new mobo has a disk controller chip that the current windows boot has no driver for. The are ways around this but it does need a working system to install the additional drivers on the disk and you may not be able to boot the drive in another system for exactly the same reason it does not work on the new mobo - i.e. catch 22.

You may be lucky and it boots, in which case the new hardware will be recognised (with WinXP and mostly with earlier versions) & you can load the chipset drivers later.

If you do get a blue screen on bootup, a reinstall of windows will be necessary.
N/A

right, thanks peter.

Have done all that, and nothing, no post bleep or owt, so a quick way would be to replace the mobo/cpu then I presume?

If so, can I replace with AMD, its doesnt matter if your replacing both CPU and mobo does it?
Community Veteran

Apart from the possible boot problem, replacing an intel mobo with AMD is possible. Just make sure the PC is not using non-standard connections for power and front/real panel connectors. Some PC manufactures like dell use ribbon cable connections to the mobo which won't work in standard ATX/miniATX mobos.

So make absolutely sure you can connect the front and back connectors to the new mobo BEFORE you purchase it. Also the more recent mobos/CPUs require more power so the PSU may also need to be changed - a 400->450W OEM or 350->400W branded PSU is probably the minimum now. I assume you will go for a sempron.
N/A

I have just had a word with the "poor excuse for a pc" owner, and just to get the thing working basically is gonna cost her £135 because the HDD is only an 8gb, so it would mean a new mobo, new cpu, and hdd.

I have a friend who builds them for a living, and he can do a decent tower, keyboard, mouse and surround sound, inc XP home for £315, so have told her to do that instead, she initially sent it to me to get upgrades on it so it could play a few decent games (cannot with onboard 32mb gpu)

It would be folly to repair it and upgrade costing near the same amount as a pc would be new with a 3 year warranty on it built by a guy who has forgotten more about pc's than I will ever know lol.

Thanks for your time tho peter, its appreciated!
N/A

Re: Bit of PC fault finding help please

All it does it power the pc up, and thats it, no screen, nothing,

If I am reading this right and the PC powers up, do you mean boots up, and if so could it be the monitor or monitor cable thats at fault.
N/A

no, am using my own monitor with it with an analogue cable, both monitor and cable are fine
N/A

It is old enough to have an 8GB hard drive and is still under warranty (or would be if the company existed)?
N/A

could try resetting your bios just switch the jumper see if that helps your timing may be out of sync
N/A

yeah tried restting the bios, no luck there, and yeah the company has gone bust, bleedin convenient
N/A

If you want a cheap upgrade then maybe the AMD Sempron 2400 with motherboard and RAM for £85 inc VAT from www.watford.co.uk is ok. They also have a shop open 6 days a week, so they are not just an e-tailer. If you go to the shop you still pay the same price as online but you save the postage money. The staff are intelligent and know the products and components they are selling as well as any deals going at the time.

Like you said about the 8GB hard disk you could replace that, or you could just hang on to it. If it works ok, sure the OS might start slower and programs take longer to load, but if she is strapped for cash then she could use it for now. Also, anything she has like docs, photos, videos etc on the 8GB she may want to keep and the current OS may work as is with some updating on the new pc ;-)

New Hard Drives from 29 quid as well.

As for diagnosing the current PC, what has been said so far sounds like as much as you try without searching for someone with similar kit and swapping stuff around to find out what the fault is.

The 300 quid pc with OS sounds quite good, but she's worth getting the full the specs and seeing how much it would cost if she bought n built it herself.

Good luck wih sorting it out.
N/A

in my experience a CPU problem does not stop the bios screen from showing and in cases like this the graphics card and/or AGP slot have been to blame.

try swapping it out with a simple 2d graphics card that you are sure is working. if that doesn't work the AGP slot may be fried.
N/A

its an onboard gpu mate, so the problem isnt there