cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone ADSL500 Modem install issues

N/A

I have been running XP home with the Binatone ADSL500 modem for some months without any problems. I do not know if it is coincidental but since installing XP Service Pack 2, the modem seems to have disabled itself on occasions. I therefore decided to uninstall and re-install. The installation failed at about 90% through, even after a few attempts.
Fortunately I also had XP Prof installed on the PC and decided to try an install . No problem! My only problem now is that I will lose all my e-mails in Outlook Express and will have to re-install all my software and drivers . I have visited the Binatone website and downloaded drivers dated 3 Sep 04, which I thought may resolve the issue. No luck.
Does anyone have any ideas please? Is is possible to uninstall XP Service Pack 2 perhaps?

Moderators note (John) Moved to a more relevant forum
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Do you have more than one partition or hard drive on your PC?
If so then you can easily save all your emails by having outlook express move them to another partition other than C: where it puts them by default.

Open Outlook Express and go to Tools > Options > Maintenance.
Here you will see a box with the location of the files which you can change to one on another Partition / Drive (Create a folder for them first) Outlook Express will then inform you that the next time you log on to it the files will be moved.

Don't know if you can uninstall SP2 and I suppose I have been lucky in that it seems not to have effected anything.
N/A

Service Pack 2 certainly appears in Add/Remove Programs within the Control Panel, so I guess it can be removed.
holdtight
Grafter

you can uninstall SP2 from add remove programs,
i have had to do this myself and maybe i was just lucky but there
were no side effects
SP2 should have also added a system restore point so that you can go
back to a point before it was installed which is probably a safer option
than an uninstall
N/A

The uninstall is much better.

There are lot of things a restore point can't cure from the install. The uninstall performs a much better job, and even restores that point for you, when the time is right.