cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benchmarking current PC

N/A

Benchmarking current PC

My Mesh PC is about 3 years old, and whilst it's performance is still pretty good I think it might well be time to get something new and shiny. Before I embark on huge amounts of research, I would like to be able to benchmark my PC against current PCs on the market to see how it fairs. Any advice about how I could do this?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Benchmarking current PC

N/A

Benchmarking current PC

calculate Pi? lol Cheesy
N/A

Benchmarking current PC

yea, it shows how fast your PC is, if you look online there are tables to compare to
Community Veteran

Benchmarking current PC

My advise for what it is worth.
Benchmarks mean pretty much squat!!
Unless you are having probs with any of the apps/games etc that you currently run, or intend to run soon, then I wouldn't bother upgrading much. Except for the memory perhaps. More memory never hurt Wink

I went from an XP 2400 cpu with a G-Force 4200
to an XP3200(400Mhz fsb) with an MSI 6600GT card.

Ok the benchmarks may well be a lot better, but I tell you no word of a lie when I tell you that none of the apps or games I currently run were any better at all!
Ok I could turn up the eye candy, but apart from that, I wish I had saved my money tbh.
Smiley
N/A

Benchmarking current PC

My advise for what it is worth.
Benchmarks mean pretty much squat!!
Unless you are having probs with any of the apps/games etc that you currently run, or intend to run soon, then I wouldn't bother upgrading much. Except for the memory perhaps. More memory never hurt Wink

I went from an XP 2400 cpu with a G-Force 4200
to an XP3200(400Mhz fsb) with an MSI 6600GT card.

Ok the benchmarks may well be a lot better, but I tell you no word of a lie when I tell you that none of the apps or games I currently run were any better at all!
Ok I could turn up the eye candy, but apart from that, I wish I had saved my money tbh.
Smiley

Benchmarks can mean squat when the difference in upgrade is relatively small XP2400 > XP3200, although this might look like a 600MHz increase in speed, XP processors are graded as 3200MHz etc. (A quick whizz on the net reveals 2400 to be 2000mhz and XP3200 to be 2200mhz)

There are many factors to consider when upgrading like what is the current system that you are using at the moment, what do you want out of your new machine and more importantly which company am I going to buy it from

I would agree that adding more RAM makes a big difference. Think you will soon realise that upgrading can be a minefield considering all the different options available