cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup solution

Firejack
Grafter

Backup solution

I've now acquired a significant amount of data on my 4 PC network. I'm looking for someway to easily automatically backup the files each night. Ideally I think the best solution would be to somehow synchronize the files on my Windows machines to my Linux server. Then burn the critical files to CDR once a week.

Can anyone suggest a backup system?

What is everyone else using to backup data?

Cheers.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Backup solution

I have all windows PCs (4 at present) and I use NTI backup now! 3 and I backup to a large disk rather than CDR - much easier and what I backup would need 20+ CDRs and even several DVD-RWs if I had such a drive.

The backup app runs on a single PC and all the drives I want to backup are setup as shares on the backup PC. My backup drive is on the same PC as the backup software so it runs very quickly.

It allows full backups to be done as well as incremental and differential backups and has a sceduler to automate it all - I do nightly incremental backups unattended. It can also write directory to CDRs and CDRWs, not sure about DVDs though. It also comes with a full image backup option to enable full recovery of a system should your drive fail.

Software is not expensive and I've been using it for over a year now.

If you want to use your Linux system as the backup archive you should still be able to write to a shared samba folder rather than to CD although recovery may be more awkward with that method. Buying a large disk may be a better solution.

Note: Backup now only works with WIndows.
N/A

Backup solution

I jus use Robocopy a free glorified xcopy which is very fast and can mirror folders etc. Its a command line tool and I have used it in large companies as its so fast.

its free from
http://www.asia-links.com/biz/download/product.asp?productid=74&folderid=77&parentid=9

I do a ghost image of my pc onto its second drive or cd/dvd and only backup what I need like my docs, favorities, accounts,email. I find that is all that is needed when I have a ghost image.

I simple put the script in startup and copy it to an other disk and then to a share on another pc. There is no point in backing up everything as the size is to great. The ghost image of a 40gig partion is 2 gig and the data is only 500 meg max.

I have used this system for years and survived everything.
N/A

Backup solution

I've used PowerQuest programs Drive Image and Partition Magic for a few years now and had no problems with them.

After a major change on any computer, I use the DOS drive backup/restore program that comes with Drive Image on a bootable CD-R to start the computer, make a compressed image of the system C: drive split into CD size chunks onto a non-system D: drive on the same machine (it can't write direct to a network drive). Back in the main OS (currently all Windows) I copy the image files onto a shared non-system drive on another machine for burning onto CD-Rs.

With the backup/restore program on bootable CD its easy to restore any machine if needed. There's also an Image Explorer that extracts/restores individual files.

Anything of value on non-system drives on any machine I copy direct to another machine and onto CD-R with Easy CD Creator if I think it's worth the effort.

This all depends on having at least one non-system partition (D: drive) on each machine, but I find that useful anyway and they're easy to create with Partition Magic.

The DataKeeper file backup utility (comes with Partition Magic for the current version I think) does daily backups of work files with a single click onto either CD-RW if the computer has a CD writer, or a network drive or USB Gizmo (flash disk) if not.
Firejack
Grafter

Backup solution

Thanks all. I'll have a play around with those suggestions tomorrow to see which one suits me best.
Cheers Cool