cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up HDD, Small problems.

N/A

I have added a small secondhand 4.1g HDD, drive (E) to my pc (XP) for back up purpose's.
As yet I have saved nothing on this (E) drive. A couple of small problems have occurred.
(1) The recycle bin has been replicated on the (E) drive with the folder name 'recycled' and cannot be deleted, anything dumped to the (C) drive bin appears on both (C) and (E) drives. Emptying one bin causes both bins to be emptied.
(2) The System Volume Information folder for the (C) drive is also replicated on the (E) drive, oddly enough on the (C) drive this cannot be opened, and clicking on properties this reports 0 folders and 0 files. But on the (E) drive it can be opened and contains loads of folders and files files relating to the (C) drive.
The (E) drive is empty apart from the two folders mentioned.
Not life threatening I know, but as the (E) drive is small I do not want to waste any space.
Both (C) master, and (E) slave, drives are on the same primary IDE channel.
The file system for the (C) drive is NTFS.

Final question, before backing up any files should I format the (E) drive to NTFS as well.

Thanks, Paul
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Right click on the recycle bin Icon and you will see the option to make drives separate.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Windows XP will by default create a Recycle Bin and a System Volume Information folder on any hard drive that it can read.

The Recycle Bin settings can be set globally or per drive as to how big you want it to be, but each Bin on each drive will only contain files from that hard drive (Windows links them together to show you all the files across all drives).

WIndows XP will also set the security settings on the System Volume Information so that you cannot browse the files (or even see how big it is). This will only work under NTFS. If the second drive is formatted in FAT32 then Windows cannot set these permissions, hence you can view them.

I'd say format the drive in NTFS, you have better control over permissions on the drive, but it really depends on the size of the drive and the size of the files you are going to store on it as to whether you'd be better off in terms of space.
N/A

Thanks dtomlinson, you sure know your stuff, I often wondered what was in the SVI folder and why I could not get into it. I made my main drive NTFS so I could make folders private, my 9 year old son spends many hours in windows explorer forever fiddling with files.
Community Veteran

my 9 year old son spends many hours in windows explorer forever fiddling with files.

He seems to be normal then :roll:
N/A

He seems to be normal then :roll:

LOL, John, when we had win98 I lost count of the clean installs I had to do because he bust it beyond repair. I made him his own pc from spare and second hand parts and put the win98 on that, needless to say his system is flakier than someone who uses large amounts of head and shoulders