cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT voayger 105 with vista

N/A

Hi,

I purchased Windows Vista business today , installed it but it dont support my BT voyager 105 modem , i have searched various wesites and have learnt that BT have discontinued this modem and have no plans the relase vista drivers for this modem.

Any help regarding this will be appreciated.
4 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

The simple answer is to go and buy a router instead! This uses network connections to talk to your PC so it doesn't need a driver.

The Netgear DG834 is recommended by most people here, but there are many others, and they are quite cheap these days.
N/A

Unfortunately USB is heavily reliant on software to make it work- and every non-standard device will require it's own drivers to operate. I expect we'll see a raft of complaints as users find their kit won't operate on Microsoft's new kernel, although this is a far cry from the early days of the beta when almost no-one had Vista drivers and the majority of peripherals didn't work.
After two years of Beta testing, a lot of manufacturers have re-written their drivers for Vista, but the microphone on my Logitech USB webcam still doesn't work (although the webcam itself does) using the newest drivers.
Some of these problems will be fixed over time by manufacturers under consumer pressure as more users switch to Vista, but if your device is no longer supported then this is unlikely to say the least.
Short of waiting for someone to hack the driver to work on Vista as many users do for Linux (assuming this is even possible on Vista- do drivers need to be signed?), you can only purchase a combined modem/router, dual boot and use Windows XP for the internet, or using another computer altogether to go online
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Unfortunately it looks like the Voyager 105 isn't going to work on Vista. As has been said the current drivers don't work and BT don't have any plans to release an updated version for Vista.
Walrus
Grafter

Looks like the easiest option is certainly going to be a new shiney router, which will remain 'compatible' as long as they don't change ethernet in the near future! (Highly unlikely, don't panic Tongue)

However, I am curious. Have you tried 'installing the driver' rather than running the BT supplied setup? Certainly don't try this on any x64 version of Vista (definately wouldn't work anyway).

Do a backup or whatever is necessary first, then try right clicking the device in device manager an installing driver from there - navigate to the 'root' of the BT installation and hopefully the 'inf' (driver installation file) will be picked up.