Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume

jabb0
Grafter

hey folks,

Ive got a headache that is the age old BSOD!!!

The only useful information i can retrieve from the BSOD is that i have an "Unmountable Boot Volume"

As i speak i have my screwdrivers at the ready :roll:

Ok so things i have tried
- run chkdsk from WinXP CD
didnt help

- run fixmbr from WinXP CD
didnt help

- Changed the hard disk
Exact same problem rears its ugly head, 2 banjaxed hard drives... very unlikely imo

- changed the IDE cables
didnt help

I feared the problem may be the IDE connection on the motherboard, there are 2, i have tried both and still the problem persists.

I am stumped Cry

A friend has donated a computer to me which "just died", its old (so is the problem PC) so i intend to figure out the problem with the donated PC and perhaps salvage something from both of them to make a workable PC. (Hence the screwdrivers).

So do u think u cud help me identify exactly what is causing my "Unmountable Boot Volume" BSOD? plz

TBH a replacement PC is on the cards in the next few months, however i dont like being beaten, new PC or no i wanna route out the source of this problem.

Your suggestions (and prayers that i dont get electromacuted Tongue ) are most welcome
6 REPLIES
jabb0
Grafter

DOH!!!

chkdsk /r

:lol:

now to the PC that "just died"

laters
Community Veteran

Have you tried running fixboot from the windows CD ?
Njal
Grafter

Denzil
Grafter

The same problem with two HD's would suggest a motherboard problem such as a failed IDE controller. if that is the case the drives should work in the other PC...
jabb0
Grafter

Omg im sorry guys, the second post in this thread, is wot solved the problem.... apologies i didnt make that clear Shockedops:

The same problem with two HD's would suggest a motherboard problem
hehe ye and this is wot i thought and had me real worried, however the common denominator between the 2 hard drives failing was not the mobo, but rather the end user... who after a lil quizzing revealed they found it much easier to hold in the power button for 4 seconds rather than go:
Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn Off

Dont worry i promptly slapped em on the back of the head... twice! :twisted:
Denzil
Grafter

Aha, same old problem, you go looking for answers assuming the user knows what they are doing :lol: