cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSD Message

N/A

BSD Message

After upgradeing, new mb processor and memory, I get the dreaded blue screen of death with message
IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in windows XP
This can happen at any time. Any thoughts anyone as to where I may start to look for the problem?
Thanks
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran

BSD Message

the first thing to do with an unobvious error is to google it ... so i did that for you and in this case the general consensus is that its often related to a h/w problem, especially ram, and as you've changed lots of your h/w, perhaps start by swapping ram out ?
N/A

BSD Message

Yes, but I ran memtest for ages and it found no problem so I suspected that memory was not the problem. As this is the first computerI have with DDR2 memory, well DDR come to that I have no memory to swap out to try.
colorado
Dabbler

BSD Message

Hi Briston

Just a few questions first.
1. Have you installed the new drivers that came with the motherboard ?
2. Have you changed from AMD to Intel or vise versa.
3. Make and model of new equipment please.
4. Do you have a Windows XP intall disk available?

Please reply with the above and we may be able to help.

Kevin
N/A

BSD Message

Now for an indepth
New Abit mb NF-M2nView with new AMD processor
New 2x512Mb sticks of DDR2 memory
I have tried a clean install on a new SATA HD of Vista. Will not complete in dual channel platform but will complete in single channel mode. BSOD occured in dual channel as it tries to complete installation. If installed (via single channel mode) running is dual channel mode will not boot, or if it does will run for a while in dual channel but then BSOD. In single channel will run, but now have found BSOD occures but may take longer to occure. The thing is, as you need to install the drivers after you install the os, how do you know that you cannot install the os in dual channel mode? I would have thought that things have to work in basic configuration no matter what. It now transpires that as it is generic, the supplier will not guarentee it will be compatable. They do however sell it as a kit of 2x512. They also have no data as Abit have suggested upping the V to the memory in dual channel mode, but not to exceed manufactures specs. As I cannot find specs I am reluctant to do this. Also I have the problem in single channel anyway. As this is my first DDR2 mb I have no memory to swap out. There is this little 'niggle' that the problem may not be with the memory but with the mb in dual channel operation.
Using my previous HD with XP Sp2 on it there are the same symptoms after installing the drivers although of course there is a lot of old drivers in existance there. That should still work however.
Thus I think I can eliminate the new HD and the os as the same occures with 2 os and 2 HD. The common factors are processor - any thoughts? Memory - favourite at the moment or mb - that is the 'niggle'.
Just as a throw in, memtest was run last night for ages and no problem but of course that was in single channel mode.
I have a 400W ps, was wondering about that. Does dual channel platform operation take more power? If so, is the ps capable or is something warming up more and if it is already on the verge of failing, the extra heat is the final straw.
My museings - over to anyone who has thoughts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

BSD Message

It could well be a power supply problem
What is the 12v rail capacity (1 rail or 2 rail).
I don't know if this is your first AMD64 processor based system but they do put a heavier load on the 12v rail.
N/A

BSD Message

2 things.
I have just read someone who has similar problems and went through a complicated process of installing 1 stick then changeing it to slot 2 then the other stick in slot 1 and upping the V on the memory to 2.2v
Now from 1.8 to 2.2? that in my books is not a small increase, over 22%, but he now claims all is OK.
Yes this is my first AMD 64 type board hence I cannot 'borrow' (well steal for a short time) memory from one of the other computers here to eliminate the memory. That has jogged my memory. My psu is 20 pin with a 20 - 24 pin adaptor on it. Now, this can only indicate that the volts appearing on the other 4 pins are just another tap off some other pin(s). I can see that track resistance on the mb may be a problem so haveing the extra tracks from the 4 pins may help, but I would have thought cable resistance would have a negligable effect from the psu. So I would have thought the adaptor to be a suitable mod.
Thing is, buying a new ps is an expensive option if it is not the problem
Community Veteran

BSD Message

This is going back a year or so but I remember reading that DFI specifically stated that power supplies using a 20/24 pin converter were not recommended for the latest DFI AMD boards.
I suspect this is a big part of the problem
Also the fact that the psu only has a 20 pin output almost certainly means that the 12 volt rail is underpowered
N/A

BSD Message

..... and I was in Maplin only yesterday Sad
They have an offer on at the moment 400w X-power supply It has a 20/24 pin connector. I understand that you snap off the 4 pins you do not need for a 20 pin board. Not sure how this differs electrically from an adaptor on a 20 pin supply though .
Community Veteran

BSD Message

That is the difference - that is a 24 pin power supply which allows you to disconnect the other 4 pins.
However looking at the Maplin site it doesn't give any information on the rating and it is very cheap.
If you don't get a good quality power supply you could still have problems.
As an example I built a PC with a standard AMD 64 processor and used a Fortran FSP ATX-400PNF power supply which has 2 x 18 amp 12 volt rails but the earlier model had a much lower 12 v capacity for the same power.
I would suggest for your system you probably need a higher power PSU
Have a look at this thread http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=136602
N/A

BSD Message

OK, so the Maplin one is a 'no no' as not enough current on the 12v line. Interesting looking at some of the links as there is an argument for single 12V supply and also dual 12V supplies. Its a case of 'why should life be simple'.

In fact to make it really complicated this one looks cheap but supposedly delivers nearly twice the 12 amps

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/102994

... now do I know which one to go for? Nope
GersFans
Grafter

BSD Message

Definately sounds like a memory problem to me, specially when you can get it running under single channel. The advice to up the voltage may well be a good one, but I'm not familiar with this board to be able to tell you what to raise the voltage to.

Chances are you have a bad memory set, your not getting into the corrupt areas until its been running a little while so your memtests are basically useless. It may find problems, it may not..

Send the memory back to where it was bought from, tell them it refuses to function under dual channel mode and you wish to exchange it [thats IF it was bought as a dual channel kit].

Your PSU 'should' be enough to handle what you have, although you don't specify either graphics or PSU type. Buying a new PSU is never a bad idea, specially when your upgrading to new and better hardware. But, buyer beware, the PSU is probably the most important component in your computer so don't try to get one on the cheap. You would be really miffed if a cheap PSU burned out taking ALL your other components with it.

Go for quality and what you can afford. [A good quality 350w can often outperform a cheap 650w for example..]

(Just had an after thought...

Did you manually set the timings on the memory within the BIOS or did you just plug them in and start using them?

May be a good idea to check what the timings are set at now and correct any discrepancies. There should be a sticker on the back of the memory telling you what they should be set to, ie: 4-4-4-12 & Voltage 2.1v - Some boards can have problems reading from 'non standard' memory modules, so its always better to set these values yourself.)
Community Veteran

BSD Message

You still haven't advised the rating of the 12v rail on your present PSU.
This is the important number.
I remember when the AMD 64's first came out EpoX were recommending a minimum of 28 amps and that 32 amps would be better.
The point is that a PSU with only a 20 pin output probably won't have more than 18 amps on the 12 volt rail.
I agree completely that you need a good quality PSU.

Have a look here - same problem - and solved http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=100408
N/A

BSD Message

OK, do not laugh.
The ps is quite old, although quite capable of running what was in its day a heft video card and a AMD Athlon 3000 processor. BUT, 12V rail is rated at er well um 10A. Sooooooooo from what all have said, before anything else its a new power supply. Sorry guys, only just got home to check it. Have to say, Abit says in the manual that a power supply of minimum 300W preferably 400W is recommended, so I have a 400W. Excuse me for thinking OK.
Community Veteran

BSD Message

No problem.
I can well remember the discussions on various forums when the AMD 64 series first came out (I was one of the earliest users with a socket 754) and we all had to get our heads round the fact that the older processors didn't draw from the 12 volt rail and hence hardly any of the old PSU's would work.
It's too far back to check but I can remember the extensive discussions about 12v capacity and stability.
Even when I built the last computer in May last year I had to be careful as two apparently similar PSU's from Fortran had totally different 12v capacities. The FSP ATX-400PNF had 2 x 18 amps but the FSP ATX-400PN only had a single 16 amp 12v rail and the UK suppliers weren't very clear as which they were offering. It took a bit of digging to get the correct one.