cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOOT CD Help

N/A

BOOT CD Help

Hello!

Hopefully someone can help me out on here (yet again! Shockedops: )

I'm trying to update my M/B BIOS to take a new processor (See earlier plee for help! lol!)

My floppy drive refuses to work. I've tried everything to get it working. XP sees it, but when you click on drive "A" it just comes back saying "Please insert disk"

So...........
What is the easiest way to create a bootable cd? I've trawled the net only to be more confused than ever!!!!! :?

Cheers,

Tim.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

BOOT CD Help

easiest way is make a boot disk then use what ever burning software and when making a bootable CD you use the floppy for the image.

So get the Nero trial version if you havent already got it bundled and use that.

http://www.nero.com/en/download/nero-prog.html
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

BOOT CD Help

Your XP CD should be bootable itself, providing access to a console (from memory, havn't had to use it yet).

The first thing your should remember after updating / flshing you BIOS, is that tge setting in play, are the defaults defined in the BIOS.

At a minimum, you have to goto the BIOS, and save (without changes), for the BIOS to be ion full effect.

One of the worst features of windows, is that it can detect a floppy drive on bootup and provide access to it regardless.

However, if the BIOS setting are not setup, the floppy will not be accessable (IE< it shows, but no access is provided, as is your case).

You should be able to define the floppy type, in the BIOPS settings. Once this is done, windows should operate without even a single change.
N/A

BOOT CD Help

Hi,

Thanks all for your replies. I have sorted it Cheesy

Don't ask me how OR why, but I uninstalled my floppy drive from XP, took out the floppy drive and gave it a damn good Dyson-ing!, found yet another floppy drive cable (It's amazing how many you stock up over the years!) and put everything back together.

System booted and detected the floppy drive and I managed to create boot disks and everything!!!! I've even flashed my BIOS to it's latest rev ready for the arrival of my XP2400 on Monday!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I've still no idea really on how to make a bootable CD, but I can now give the NERO method a try!

Cheers again,

Tim.
N/A

BOOT CD Help

take a look at
http://www.tacktech.com/topranked.cfm

loads of ways to make a boot cd