cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS ????

N/A

BIOS ????

Further to my earlier post, My PC wont shutdown, how do I get into the BIOS of my machine.

Its an HP Pavilion running W2000 Pro.

Any help greatly appreciated.
11 REPLIES
N/A

BIOS ????

For most PCs (though it can differ with HP and other manufactured machines) you just keep tapping the delete key every few seconds as you turn the PC on. Though with yours there may be a loading screen with the HP logo, which you may have to press something like F1 to get rid of, and then start with del.

You can find specific instructions along the bottom of the screen as the PC boots.

Note: Be careful in the BIOS, sometimes you can cause more damage than you started out with.
N/A

BIOS ????

Basically the PC seems to shutdown but the tower still makes a noise, the fan, and the power light stays on

Have you always had this problem, or has it only started recently?
N/A

BIOS ????

If you have your winows cd, try booting into the cd,
(enable this in the bios boot up options if it doesn't)
then run the repair option, this might help.
N/A

Re

No the problem started about 5 days ago for no apparent reason.
N/A

Re

Thanks

I got into the BIOS but could not see a problem. Basically the PC seems to shutdown but the tower still makes a noise, the fan, and the power light stays on so I have to manually turn it off. I am worried that I may be doing harm but apart from this the PC runs really well.

Prob started about a week ago but I have not changed any settings.

Stumped?
N/A

BIOS ????

Hmm, I'm stumped as well then. I think there are settings in your Power Options, but these only relate to when you press the power button. There is also a setting in the bios, but it also relates to the power buttons (it allows you to choose soft shutdown, hard shutdown, etc.) - so I don't think it's what you're after.

I'd suggest you contact HP support (unless another forum user has any ideas) - I've contacted them concerning some problems with my dad's HP machine (under warranty) and they were very helpful.
N/A

BIOS ????

It sounded to me like an ACPI (power management issue)
hence the recommendation to try the repair option, details
are here
If this fails then I'm stumped. Lol
Community Veteran

BIOS ????

Also worth downloading and running Adaware and Spybot as if this just started for no reason you could have some spyware in your machine.
N/A

Re

Have tried the Spyware route aswell

Thanks for trying tho'
N/A

BIOS ????

not too sure about the specs of your pc but microsoft has a general help section about shutdown problems with windows 2000:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315409

Hope this helps somewhat! Smiley
Double_Six
Dabbler

BIOS ????

I have had similar probs since I put in a new PCI usb card and connected my printer to it.

I've Windows ME and it doesn't shut down completely if I leave the printer power on. It will shut down if I remember to turn off the printer first. This didn't happen until I put in the new card for extra usb sockets.

I also have a Logitech cordless trackball and it used to work perfectly, but not now with the new card. I've fiddled with the BIOS and drivers etc., but have given up and decided to buy a PS/2 trackball (PS/2 connected mice work fine). I had to install the card to accomodate the three usb peripherals... the mouse/trackball, the printer, and my new Binatone ADSL modem which I received from PlusNet.

I have found out that ME has issues with usb and Logitech software has issues with ME and usb so a new trackball seems the easiest answer!!

Any thoughts?

Paul.