cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAckup and permissions issue

N/A

Hi i ahve windows xp on 2 partitions

I just added a new motherboard and new processor to my pc therefore i installed a new installed windows so i can back up all my work before i can renistall that operating system.

I tried to do back up but i cant seem to back up my documents.

I keep gettin access is denied error. I tried takin the harddrive out and take it to another Pc makin it as a slave and back up like that, i still cant backup. I keep getin access is denied. I need the My documents folder otherwise i just wudve deleted it. But its only that folder, no other folder is giving me that error.

Please help
5 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

If you log on as administrator, then right click on the folder you don't have permission on. Click on the Security tab. You can then give yourself permissions on that folder.

Edit: Just to say as well. To do this you have to have the "Use simple file sharing (Reccomended)" uncheck on the View tab of the Folder Options.

Phil
N/A

i have windows Xp, when i right click on my documents and go to the sharing tab, all i see a checkbox thats greyed out stating make this folder private, its not ticked but greyed out. I have no settings that i can change in the sharing or security tab.
Superuser
Superuser

If you uncheck "Use simple file sharing (Reccomended)" on the View tab of the Folder Options you should then get the Security tab.

Phil
N/A

that worked

thanks for your help Cheesy
Superuser
Superuser

No problem

Phil