cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic ADSL connection problem

N/A

Hi everyone

I'm running win2kserver with a usb modem to connect to the internet....
i usualy connect to this server using terminal services
from time to time i need to remotely re-start the server i.e. critical updates etc etc
The problem is when i restart the unit,it does not connect to the internet until you manualy log in and connect (inconvenient 50 miles away)
Is there any way of starting the ADSL(dialup connection) as a service when windows boots so i dont have to make the 100 mile round trip??

Thanks Steve
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Could you have a dialup modem connected then dial in through RAS and then start the ADSL service after?

Or what anbout sticking internet explorer in startup, pointing to some website and having it set to automatically dial up to the internet?
N/A

Good idea with the dialup but unfortunately not an option

As with putting a internet explorer or even the actual dialup connection in the startup folder, this will not work because these do not get started until you log on locally.......
Community Veteran

Ah yes good point.
Cant it be set to automatically logon? xp and 2k pro machines can, but I guess the server versions might be restricted in this way (I've never tried as our 2k and 2k3 servers in work are on a windows domain, and i've never had a need to either).

Chris
N/A

I could possibly get 2k server to auto login but I’m afraid this would be too much of a security risk as would leave the machine wide open locally..
I really need it to connect before login i.e as an automatic service if possible i believe u can put an entry in the registry under hkey_local_machine but i dont know what i'm doing with Z_word's and the like!!!
N/A

Not trying to spoil anything but instead of a USB modem, why not go for ethernet modem?

Yes, you have to pay for it, but it would automatically have the internet connected on log-on as the modem would be connected already... or at least it is in the case with my router.

Craig
N/A

Yep Thanks i think that would solve it.
but i would rather try and find a way to resolve this with the hardware i have if possible.
any more ideas...
N/A

Try installing zone alarm on the server if you concerned about autologin. Also change the name of the administrator account and lock everything you not using down with group policy ( start run gpedit.msc).
N/A

Just spoke to a mate of mine who informed me of a utility in the support pack called AUTOEXNT which basicly works like the autoexec.bat of old but for NT. This will run a batch file as service and let me start the connection See http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/3954/3954.html
Thanks for the help guys

Steve :-)

[Moderator note (by acarr - Phil) : Removed duplicate post]