Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attacks

jabb0
Grafter

Attacks

Hello,

I was looking at the attacks made on my compo which were logged by my firewall.
There was a rather large percentage of the attacks which have come from force9 and plusnet hostnames.

The same few names keep re-appearing!!!
Are these guys trying to attack me?
or
Is there some innocent and benine reason as to why these guys are appearing in my log?

Thanks
6 REPLIES
avalon
Grafter

Attacks

It's probably that their computers have compromised by viruses & trojans and are looking for a new victim to take over.

If you have a lot from the same sources raise a ticket and give the details to PN to discuss matters with those users. They be blissfully unaware that their computers and personal information on them are under someone elses control.
Community Veteran

Attacks

On contact us, you should follow the tech support link then contact abuse team link. Then detail your findings and the names of the force9 users and they will investigate further.
jabb0
Grafter

Attacks

Ill accept that.
It was really the first time i ventured into look at that log, really there was only about 30 entries, with 50-60% being PN & F9 users.

is it just me or is it a fact that more attacks come form ppl within the same ISP?

Cos i have rebooted into windows here, and my security is alot more lax that a friends PC who is with Tiscali, (i have just come from fixing her PC), yet her compo was in a miserable state. I realise there could be a million and one reasons why her PC was so much worse than mine, but has the ISP got anything to do with it do ya think?

cheers mate

EDIT : petervaughan jus got in there before me... i suppose whether they r attacking or they have got some kind of malware is irrelevant since either way its bad for someone.... :twisted: this could defo end up in a case of bad karma, ill have to report it!!!
Community Veteran

Attacks

30 entries over what period of time?

If its over a period of days or even hours then that is not worth reporting and is general internet noise.

The reason you only see PN users is because PN block the common ports used for viruses at the borders but do not block within the PN network.
jabb0
Grafter

Attacks

over about an hour or slightly more, so u think internal noise... havent got round to the reporting bit yet... and by the sounds of things it would be a waste of everyones time.

The rate of attacks is approx the same now as it was then.

Thanks for the info cos i had no idea exactly what was going on - the light has been shed... i thank you Smiley
N/A

Attacks

It IS worth reporting, and plusnet SHOULD take a more proactive stance of wiping out virii and worms on their internal network, its classed as "internet noise" yet PN could filter it ALL out very easily, but they do not, so report it and hopefully those that are reported will be foreced to clean their pcs of this stuff and reduce the noise for the rest of us