cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attack of Mr Freeze

N/A

Attack of Mr Freeze

Hi all,

About a month a go I ordered some kit and built a new system, now after they sent me a second hand Mobo, I have got a new one, a Asus A7V8X-X so my spec is,

1 x Asus A7V8X-X
1 x AMD ATHLON XP2600+ 333MHz FSB - Thoroughbred - OEM
1 x PC2700 512MB 333MHz DDR DIMM
1 x V770 Modding Case Silver/blue ATX 350w With Built in Side Window
1 x Coolermaster HAC-V81 XDream Heatsink & Fan SKT A Upto Xp2800 Speed Adjustment
4 x 80mm Case Fans

1 x Tyan Tachyon Radeon G9600PRO 8xAGP 128MB DDR VGA/DVI/S-Video/Hardware Monitoring Retail Box

I'm having real problems with the Kit locking up, now it's solid in the OS, browsing etc is fine and it never fails, but as soon as I run a game or 3D demo (Pipe Dreams, Bear etc) then it freezes and I have to restart, now this can happen within 5 minutes or 30 mintues but it will happen. I have tried a fresh install on the OS XP and 98SE, latest Bios is 6 i think, 7 is beta. Latest ATI drivers, I have checked the mem with Memtest86 and have checked with Sandra and can not find a thing. Also I have my old GeForce 2 Ti card and the same thing happens

The only reason I bought this new kit is to play HL2, does anyone have any Ideas? :roll:
33 REPLIES
Boundey
Grafter

Attack of Mr Freeze

So its just locking up with no errors or anything like that?

what temp does it run when it locks up... quickly check your BIOS when you try to reboot. Sounds to me like an overheating problem, your BIOS might be set low.

If you have more than one stick of memory in there remove one and try it Wink

Let me know how you get on.
Boundey
Grafter

Attack of Mr Freeze

another thing, what size PSU have you got?
N/A

Attack of Mr Freeze

No errors just a Freeze, no Alt Tab etc only way out is the reset button, no blue screen, no OS message, no nothing except a still image of what once was a pretty moving demo/game..

The temp is around 40- 45 it's not a heat thing, as I have a 4 x 80mm case fans two exhausts, and two pulling cool air in at the front, and one Real big CPU fan with adjustable speed (on full) and it's a 350 Watt PSU.
N/A

Attack of Mr Freeze

Turn your PC off for an hour, then give us an indication of the temp when you first turn on.

Remember, these do not report the temperatures well, so getting an idea of the differance can help.
N/A

Attack of Mr Freeze

Hi Philip,

The temp is around 30 on first boot, BIOS shows this, and ASUS PC probe on the OS, the temp will level at around 40 - 45 after the system has been up a hour or so, and 50 is about the Max that I have seen it go to...

Mem test ran for around 6 hours with no failures and the temp was around 45?

Chris
N/A

Attack of Mr Freeze

The mem tests do use some CPU, however, not enoguh to bring any noticable rise in temperature.

The tests simply measure throughput in a pretty organised manor.

This would rull out memory as the issue.

Have you tried running a 3DMark test, starting pretty low, and getting better and better.

Another method, which you may find a little simpler and far less prone to lock the system easily, is to use the DirectX giagnostic tool and running thr 3D tests a few hundred times.

I have not got any compilable programs, however, I can provide Tcl scripts that would put your CPU and memory through its paces at the same time. I havn't got any offhand, however it wouldn't be too hard to produce at all. A few statistical functions and major session of regular expressions ought to hold the system in some serious calculations.

What you need to be doing now, is rulling out a graphics issue or CPU.

ALso, what USB devices do you run? This has been my biggest headache in the past, and I am now down to using PCI based products only because of USB.
N/A

Attack of Mr Freeze

Two other things.

There is a August set of BIOS code, and the VIA 4-in1 drivers where updated 5 days ago.
N/A

Attack of Mr Freeze

Thanks, this has given me some things to play with,

I noticed, after snuffling around on VIA and Asus that some new updates are out, that will be on the list for tomoz morning

'DirectX giagnostic ' Cheesy I have no idea what that is, but will have a look and let you know my findings

CPU testing I can find a few Apps that might help, something like this http://www.7byte.com/index.php?page=hotcpu

No USB kit is installed, and only one PCI device that I have tried in and out and the same happens

A7V8X-X BIOS 1006 is my current one and the 1007 is Beta, so I will avoid that for now.

3D mark should be down by now, as I started D/L when I left for work @ 3pm, so I will also give that a go, anything in the mean time that might help, please shout!!
N/A

Attack of Mr Freeze

Am I correct that it only locks up on games or does it do it with everything?

Can we narrow it down?

Is it just games or just 3d games?

Is it time related ie is it ok in the first 1 hour.

What sp have you got on and what version of direct X?
N/A

Attack of Mr Freeze

Am I correct that it only locks up on games or does it do it with everything?
Is it just games or just 3d games?

Yes it only appears to lock up in games, I don't do anything else taxing. All the games are 3D , MOHAA, Revolution, C&C Generals

Is it time related ie is it ok in the first 1 hour.

No, it can go within the first 5 minutes or the first 30, but it will go, equally I can sit with the machine on all day long, as soon as I run a game it will fail

What sp have you got on and what version of direct X?

I have tried it under Win98SE, 2K SP4, XP with SP1 and now currently without, but with all updates. I have also tested it under DX 8.1 & 9.0 Beta and 9.0 final!

I have also tested the OS's on two different HDD's a Seagate 80Gb & a Seagate 20Gb, and believe me this is really, really winding me up!!!!
Boundey
Grafter

Attack of Mr Freeze

it sounds like the problem i once had... but i had BSOD's but sometimes it locked up.

I replaced everything apart from the mobo and the cpu and it was the CPU which was causing the problem. Sad
N/A

Attack of Mr Freeze

I really hope that this is not a CPU issue, as the RMA may kill someone..
N/A

Attack of Mr Freeze

I had a similar problem a year ago, locking up when the graphics card was asked to do some work.This was solved by changing the PSU, not for a more powerful one, just a better make I guess. I would think that 4 80mm case fans along with every thing else adds up to quite a drain at times of peak demand, causing high current demand on one rail at the expense of the other rail which cheap PSU's cannot smooth out. The suspect PSU now runs perfectly in a less demanding PC.
N/A

Attack of Mr Freeze

I would agree with that too.

Like with many statistics these days, they can get away by deatiling there top spec at the burst/non-sustainable output.

Having had PSU troubles on some high end graphics editing systems (barebones units with everything except the PSU overhauled) in the past, they had allways either simply reset with no warning, or dropped to a blank screen.

These are what you would expect, and not system freeze. However, having had a quick google, it looks a good possibility.