Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Athlon 64 X2

N/A

Athlon 64 X2

Anyone using an Athlon 64 X2?

Are they any good?

Is it worth the upgrade from a normal Athlon 64?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Athlon 64 X2

To be fair, unless you do a lot of heavy multitasking or a lot of high resolution digital imagery/dv editing or the like, I'd say the upgrade wouldn't be worth it.

There aren't that many apps out there now that make use of multicore processors and if you're just into gaming, well, there's none that I've heard of that support multicore processors and none in the works that do to the best of my knowledge.

That said, if you like to be on the cutting edge of technology, it's your money Wink
N/A

Athlon 64 X2

That said, if you like to be on the cutting edge of technology, it's your money Wink

Exactly, thats the only reason to get an A64 X2 unless used for the reasons bullit stated.

I think next year they will be worth buying when more multithreaded games/apps are released, so to buy one now is gonna be pointless tbh.
N/A

Athlon 64 X2

Thanks,

the most I ever do is the odd bit of video editing, and the Athlon 64 seems to handle that with ease. Think I'll stick with what I have!
N/A

Athlon 64 X2

That statement alone says multitasking "video editing"!

I had a 144 Opteron setup for video editing - im now running a Opteron 275 and it really is chalk and cheese.

If you are using software like tmpgenc (which is multithreaded) you will see a good speed increase. It depends on your setup.

If the x2 fits onto your motherboard with only a BIOS update then i could think of better ways to waste your time and money on Smiley

(Oh and you can play games and encode at the same time) Something most single core processors will not do without a major speed decrease when playing games!

Happy encoding Tongue
N/A

Athlon 64 X2

(Oh and you can play games and encode at the same time) Something most single core processors will not do without a major speed decrease when playing games!

Who does that lolHuh
N/A

Athlon 64 X2

Im always encoding stuff in the background - I only have so many hours to do my work at home so i do my encoding whilst doing other things - WHY wouldn't you ?

Geeze - why have dual core processors - or dual processor motherboards

....... some people :shock:
N/A

Athlon 64 X2

im sorry but people use that excuse all the time to justify buying an X2...oh i can encode while playing a game...oh i can run anti-virus while playing a game, its complete rubbish.

I have played games online for nearly 4 yrs and have never had to encode a film or scan for virus's whilst ingame :?

The guy only does a bit of editing/encoding now and then so theres no need for an X2 :shock: waste of money tbh.....
N/A

Athlon 64 X2

I`m a computer engineer and have had chance to play with a couple of x2 processors.

in xp32 well they perform bloody well and multitasking really is dramatically improved.

in win64 Absolutly Awsome Multitaskin Ha can play games Ie doom 3 on a duel display have a dvd playing at the same time and fully utilize downloads and do a bit of encoding WOW! it didnt complain and well was still getting 40-50fps in doom3 WOW!
N/A

Athlon 64 X2

I`m a computer engineer and have had chance to play with a couple of x2 processors.

Good for you...

I aggree the X2's kick ass, i never said they didnt. For me and the people that rarely encode or heavily multitask the X2's are a waste of money, just simply not needed.

in win64 Absolutly Awsome Multitaskin Ha can play games Ie doom 3 on a duel display have a dvd playing at the same time

Great...you can watch a film and play doom at the same time whoo hooo you must be super human or something i must try that one day :lol:

:roll: