cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Artec DVD rom problem

N/A

Artec DVD rom problem

I've had an Artec dvd drive fitted for about a year now and it has worked without any problems ,and then it has started showing a flashing yellow read light and it will not read dvd's or cd's. The drive is not locked because diagnostics show another 4 region changes are possible. Windows shows it as a Star2000 drive. My other drive which is a cd-rw on the same ribbon cable is working fine. Does anyone know what the flashing yellow light means? I assume a read error. Has the drive completely had it or can I download any software which will tell me what is wrong or fix the problem?

Any suggestions much appreciated. Cry
3 REPLIES
N/A

Artec DVD rom problem

How long does the yellow light flash for?

Normaly, if a light flashes after placing a disc in the drive, for longer than 20 seconds, it is a sign of a faulty drive.

I had a simalar issue with my own drive a few months back. It was abel to read CD's but not DVD's.

It was replaced under warrentee, however, since then, I have learnt that the exact model I am using has had two firmware updates issued in relation to the issue.

It may well be worth visiting the makers website.
N/A

Artec DVD rom problem

the yellow light flashes forever. I suspect as you say that the firmware update needs to be done. My mate also has the same problem in his machine. Does anyone have any experience of doing the firmware update. I don't want to fry the drive due to inexperience.
N/A

Artec DVD rom problem

One good sugestion is to pay a PC shop to do it.

It isn't hard to do yourself, however, a PC shop would have to replace it if they fried it.

EDIT:

However, with the current issue inside the drive, it is likely that they would say they didn't break it, and that the firmware didn't fix it.

Have you tried contacting the makers of the drive, to see if they know of any issues to cause such problems.