cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apache and FTP server and X terminal Emulators.

N/A

I have recently changed from using a Fujitsu ADSL modem and a Belkin Router to a Netgear DG814 router/modem on my 3 computer network.

I used to be able to run Apache and an FTP server and also use vista Xceed to connect to a remote unix computer and run graphics programs with the output showing on my computer. This was with the modem connected directly to my computer and the router then connected the other two, and used ICS.

Now using the Netgear DG814, all computers have a 198,169.0.* IP address, and the DG814 has the Plus Net IP address, and I can't get any of the above mentioned programs to work. I have tried Port Forwarding, but it doesn't seem to work.

One thing that I'm not sure of, is what IP address I set in the Server Name section of the http.conf file in Apache, I assume people should still try the Plus Net address, as this is the only unique address for me. Similarly what IP address should the other programs listen for, the local address or my Plus Net address.

Any help or suggestions on how to set these programs up would be readliy accepted. I don't really want to go back to my old modem and router.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Apache and FTP server and X terminal Emulators.

Now using the Netgear DG814, all computers have a 198,169.0.* IP address, and the DG814 has the Plus Net IP address, and I can't get any of the above mentioned programs to work. I have tried Port Forwarding, but it doesn't seem to work.

Firstly, a double check - are the IP addresses 192.168.0.* or as you quoted above?

One thing that I'm not sure of, is what IP address I set in the Server Name section of the http.conf file in Apache, I assume people should still try the Plus Net address, as this is the only unique address for me. Similarly what IP address should the other programs listen for, the local address or my Plus Net address.

If the router is performing port-forwarding, then you need to set up your httpd.conf file to listen to its LOCAL 192.168.0.* address.

Please also bear in mind that from a machine INSIDE the network, you will *always* have to use 192.168.0.* addresses to talk to other machines inside your network. The router will only map the IP addresses in port forwarding if the request comes from outside your network. Port forwarding is probably already working, but you haven't tested it from an external source.

Barry
N/A

Thanks - yes - sorry - finger trouble. They are 192.168.0.*. And yes I have only tested locally, and haven't got any of my friends to try and access the web page.

I take it then that to test the FTP server I will also need external assistance.

If you are familiar with Hummingbird ( Vista ) Xceed, what service would I need to Port Forward, would Telnet be sufficient?

Once again, thanks for the information so far.
Community Veteran

It depends on how you are 'talking' to the Xceed server. If you are communicating via Telnet, then you will need at least the telnet port, and port 6000 for display 0, 6001 for display 1, etc.

http://www.hummingbird.com/support/nc/exceed/ex60072.html

This is the first, (and not necessarily the most applicable) file I found on the hummingbird website that mentions ports. I would recommend that you check their website for specific information on the version of Exceed that you are using.

On a secondary note - telnet is not the most secure way to access your machine remotely, as passwords are send in cleartext. I would recommend using SSH, and perhaps "tunneling" through this connection. This would enable you to close off all ports on your router except the SSH port.

With regards to testing your existing 'port forwarding', I generally use my shell access to the CGI server to do this. You can telnet/ssh into the server, and then attempt a connection 'back' to your router IP address on the specific port. As the CGI server is outside your network, it will hopefully trigger the appropriate port-forwarding, and redirect you to the correct machine.

If you have any other questions, feel free to continue on this thread Cheesy

Barry
N/A

Once again - thanks very much for your help. I will try the things you suggest.

Just one more point about Port Forwarding. When I set the TCP/IP on the computer that I want to use for Port Forwarding to a fixed IP address, the Netgear setup doesn't show it as a connected device, but when I set the TCP/IP to find an IP address automatically, it then does show on the connected devices. Is this normal or has the firmware for the Netgear been corrupted.
N/A

As I understand, this list only shows devices that have been assigned there IP via DHCP.

If so, this may well be nromal.
Community Veteran

Philip is correct - the 'connected devices' is the DHCP allocations that have been made - nothing at all to do with machines on your network that are using that machine as a router Cheesy

Barry
N/A

Thanks very much to both of you. The muddy waters are begining to clear.

So one more question. If I leave the PC to get an IP address automatically, will it always be given the same address i.e. 192.168.0.2 or will I have to set it to that to retain it. I have noticed the other addresses for my other computers are not 192.168.0.3 or 4 etc, but other numbers. Are these automatic addresses generated from some other source, i.e. the MAC address of the NIC.
Community Veteran

I would assign a static IP address to that machine, as there is no guarantee that the same IP address will be assigned.

The Netgear assigns IP addresses in a round robin fashion, afaik. It will start with the first address in the pool, and increment as-and-when new machines are added.

Barry.
Community Veteran

I would assign a static IP address to that machine, as there is no guarantee that the same IP address will be assigned.

Barry.

Yes the same thing happens with my D-Link 504.
It seems to assign IP addresses in the order that the machines connected to it are turned on.
N/A

Thanks very much to all contributors. I now have Apache and my FTP server working, still no luck with eXceed though. I still can't get the display to show on my computer. So maybe I will need to delve some more into the Hummingbird help/support pages. But no rush for this though. It's only because I have it, that I want it to work.
Community Veteran

What version of Exceed are you running?

B.
N/A

eXCeed Version 7.0.0 on Windows 2000 Pro.
N/A

As I said in the first post. It used to work with the Fujitsu USB modem connected directly to my PC, although there was some colour translation problem. It has now stopped since I changed to the Netgear DG814 router/modem.

So I guess it must be the display port that needs to be port forwarded. I have added 6000 to the port forwarding in the Netgear setup. I am using XDMCP Broadcast, and do see a list of computers willing to manage, but when I click on one, it does nothing.

In Xconfig - Communication - Mode ( XDMCP - Configure ) - it mentions Local Port 296 and Remote Port 288. Do these have any influence on the situation?
Community Veteran

Have you tried enabling passive mode in Exceed?

Barr.