cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone used "komplett.co.uk" for pre-built PC's?

pawhe955
Grafter

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new PC, and having used "komplett.co.uk" for components a couple of times before (decent prices and I've had absolutely no issues), I have been looking at their customisable pre-built PC's, as I want someone else to build it - and thereby guarantee it - whilst I still basically call the shots on the spec. Nearly went to buy it today, but backed out and Googled for "komplett built pc review" - and wish I hadn't.... (or alternatively, possibly glad I did...).

I know that most forums and review sites are always biased towards the negatives, but did see a couple of obviously worrying things about Komplett's ability to deliver, and their post-delivery service. So, just wondered if anyone had, on the off chance, bought a pre-built system from Komplett.... and whether they could let us know - good or bad....?

Thanks,

Paul.

- Oh, and just for interest, here's the spec:

Case - Gigabyte 3D Aurora GZ-FSCA1-AN Silver
PSU - AKASA Powersupply ATX/EPS 12V 550W
MB - Asus P5B DLX/WIFI-AP, P965, Socket-775
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.67GHz Socket
Mem - OCZ PC2-6400 DDR2 800M Special Ops Edition,
Boot-HD - Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 16Mb SATA2
Data-HD - Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 400GB 16Mb SATA2
OptDrv - NEC DVD±recorder AD-7173 IDE Silver
Graphics - XFX GeForce 7950GX2 520M 1GB eXtreme
OS - Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

Enough (in my books) to warrant being called "an investment" - and as such, want service from the company, to match the spec.... cheers,
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 59

I have never bought a prebuilt PC from them but would have some concerns with their rma policy as everything is shipped to Holland for checking which slows things down a lot if there are problems
Have a look at this site http://forums.hexus.net/forumdisplay.php?f=63
N/A

I would advise you buy from Scan for a pre-built system, they have supposebly got one of the best customer supports around.

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/
Community Veteran

I would take a look at one of our local emporiums - Novatech

www.novatech.co.uk

I have used them over the last few years for components and bits and pieces, never ever had a problem with them and their prices are reasonable too.

AFAIK their customer support is very good, and they do know their stuff.

Cheers,

Roger.
pawhe955
Grafter

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place - I know the specific/individual components that I want, and could probably put the system together myself - but wanted the 're-assurance' of a commercial company to build the system, and more importantly test it pre-shipping. Anything from Mesh, Scan, Dell, Novatech, Alien, etc. typically contains at least 1 or 2 components I don't want, and can't change. Or equivalents are a damn site more expensive (by up to £500).

Having said that, that Scan 3XS system is starting to look good (although, at a £400 premium... - but then again, 10 months interest free credit...... hmm...)

Looks like more research before I get my hands on some new hardware.... Cheers,
N/A

If you can do it yourself its probably not worth buying pre-built. Most manufacturers now have 3-5 year or even a lifetime guarantee on their equipment, so even if you get a problem its not hard to RMA and get a like for like replacement.

I'd personally only ever buy pre-built if it came with a warranty where they would come to my house and repair it lol.

So I would definately avoid pre-builts if you have the know how to do it yourself. What is it you want? Just a great PC or something silent, maybe watercooling? There is only so far pre-builts can go for quality, remember they have to make a profit somewhere.
pawhe955
Grafter

Requirements - something "future-proof" LOL . O.K. - more realistically, something performance wise that I wouldn't look back on in a years time, and curse for not going the extra mile... (Last Desktop was bought 5 years ago.... still o.k., but bits starting to fail...). Quiet is definitely a goal. The spec in the OP was the result of quite a time looking at individual components (e.g. MB - fanless; and built in Wireless is useful; SATAII 16Mb disks look good; v. good [single] graphics card for the odd intensive game, but certainly not a "serious" gaming machine [e.g. no SLI, etc.]; sound not that important, hence MB only; fast, stable memory; one DVD writer, waiting for BR or HD to some down in price... etc.).

The thing I can't work out with Komplett - price up the individual components, and that's the price you pay for the Pre-Built 'customised' system. In fact, depending on which Standard PC you start to customise, you can get the "quoted" built price to be less than the total of the components..... so I guess that they take the build costs out of the component margin - but their component prices are pretty keen.... (o.k. not always the absolute cheapest - but usually close).

So in one sense, as the price is the same, it seems silly not to take advantage of them building it; IF their QA is good and they don't make fundamental mistakes; IF they do adequate pre-shipping soak-testing, etc. That's the bit I don't know with them at the moment - but since the replies in this thread, I've emailed them directly with some "searching" questions, and also posted in the Komlpett forums at Hexus....

Then again, that Scan 3XS system looks good... oh - have I said that once before.... Wink

Cheers,
N/A

I suggest you go out to your local Asda and pick up a CustomPC magazine. It will help in many ways, from showing you different retailers to the best hardware around etc. Also note the back page on the magazine Wink

Now you have to go get one just to work out what the "back page" is all about lol.
pawhe955
Grafter

Well, just to round off this thread, and prove that these forums work.....

Thanks to holtlane for pointing me in the direction of the hexus forums (very enlightening with regards to both Komplett and Scan - for different reasons..... and well worth a visit), and phearfactor for the general advice - I've just ordered all the components for a full system from Scan, hopefully for delivery Friday (what a co-incidence - I'd already booked a day off work... Wink ).

Now all I've got to do is bolt the thing together - now, where's that ball-peen hammer and gaffer tape......

Cheers,
N/A

There's really nothing like bolting a system together yourself for the first time, and watching it spring to life...

...or not as the case may be, lol.

At the end of the day, building your own is a very liberating experience, and there's really no reason why you shouldn't do it yourself.

Given that you've bought components in the past, you already have the grounding there, this is the logical next step.

I've been building PC's as a hobby for about 10 years, and you DO get "issues", but nothing so severe that it would put you off doing it again.

Good Luck.

Regards,
Community Veteran

If you are looking for a cheap PC take a look at the DELL Outlet on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Dell-Outlet

Where they sell scratched or dented DELL systems.

I picked up a 2.8GHz Dual core Pentium with 1G of memory for £220 including carriage and VAT. And it has a 3 year next day on site warranty!

OK, service was appalling, I paid within 5 minutes of their call centre opening (auction ended over the weekend.) And they filed a non paying bidder dispute on me !!!! Then once that was sorted waisted a week with computer problems being unable to ship it to me.

Chilly
pawhe955
Grafter

As the originator of the thread - I'm sorted. Got everything I needed from Scan as components - had some faulty memory, and a PSU that didn't physically fit in the case, but Scan RMA'd both with no issues, and provided good advice on alternatives. Excellent service overall... Ended up with:

Case - CoolerMaster WaveMaster Aluminium
PSU - CoolerMaster iGreen 600W
MB - Asus P5B Deluxe/Wi-Fi, P965, Socket-775
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.67GHz Socket-775
Mem - Corsair 2Gb (2 x 1Gb Matched pair) XMS
Boot-HD - Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 16Mb SATA2
Data-HD - Hitachi Deskstar 500GB 16Mb SATA2
OptDrv - NEC DVD±recorder AD-7173 IDE Silver
Graphics - eVGA GeForce 7950GX2 520M 1GB

Looks great, and running fine at the moment.... would definitely self-build again - although I hope I don't actually have to upgrade or replace anything for while....

Cheers,