cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know how to get rid of an unwanted Exe file?

N/A

:roll:

I runFirefox with Windows 2000 Professional and McAfee Firewall, all set to let nothing through without my consent. In a moment of tireness I must have hit Allow instead od Deny and now have a file Wild-Flics.exe installed in my WINNT folder . A shortcut appears on my desktop and in my Programs file every time I boot.. I cannot delete the file using Windows Explorer or Eraser - error message says file is in use.

Any help would be appreciated. My understanding of how the machine works is pretty limited. I just want to plug and play
9 REPLIES
N/A

Just delete it and then empty the recycle bin. Also see this post
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21588. Any of them will add a second layer of protection
N/A

Just delete it and then empty the recycle bin. Also see this post
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21588. Any of them will add a second layer of protection

Many thanks for your help. I can't delete the file from C: WINNT. Access is denied -so I can't even get it to Recycle bin.

IThe file doesn't seem to cause any damage otr at least Spybot hasn't identified anything
N/A

Are you logged on as administrator? If not try deleting as administrator.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had a simmilar problem not long ago and was given a link to GiPo@MoveOnBoot

edit also try here if the freeware version isnt there, just noticed they want you to register

Basically you right lick on the file you want gone and choose Delete on next Boot and when you next reboot your pc it deletes it in dos so before it can be run. You have to use this route if your partion is in NTFS, as only Fat32 can be accessed in dos unless you buy an expensive third party utility to view NTFS in dos
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Another option is boot into safe mode (does win2K have this?) and delete it then.
N/A

Use F8 during boot up the same as xp.
N/A

I had a simmilar problem not long ago and was given a link to GiPo@MoveOnBoot

edit also try here if the freeware version isnt there, just noticed they want you to register

Basically you right lick on the file you want gone and choose Delete on next Boot and when you next reboot your pc it deletes it in dos so before it can be run. You have to use this route if your partion is in NTFS, as only Fat32 can be accessed in dos unless you buy an expensive third party utility to view NTFS in dos

Many thanks. You have solved the problem for me. I'm very impressed at the helpfulness of so many people.
N/A

Are you logged on as administrator? If not try deleting as administrator.

Many thanks for taking the time to help. Problem now solved using the suggestion from adp450.
N/A

Another option is boot into safe mode (does win2K have this?) and delete it then.

Mant y thanks for taking the trime to help. Problem now solved using the route suggested by adp450