cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody got a light?

N/A

Anybody got a light?

Just curious about my Dynamode USB modem as supplied by plusNet, there is no problem or anything wrong with it. I just wondered what the 4 green LED's (2 ADSL and 2 USB) indicate?
I just looked around my desk and what with my PC, printer, USB hub, modem, monitor, phone, speakers, game pad, wireless mouse and keyboard, scanner and other bits and pieces there are 21 out of 29 LED's glowing or flashing away, it's beginning to look like a flippin christmas tree. It would be nice to know what these modem lights mean. Thanks
2 REPLIES
N/A

Anybody got a light?

Most of the time you don't need all these LED's. manufacturers sometimes put "unwanted" LED's on as the cost is relatively low and it adds "user appeal".
In other words, the more LED's, the more the user thinks they are getting a better bit of kit for the money.
My router set up (a stacked router/dsl modem and firewall router has a total of 20 LED's to signify WAN, Data, 10/100 (for each port), power etc. The useless LED's are "ready" and "status" (again for each port).
Another example of bullshit baffles brains.
N/A

Anybody got a light?

OK.

Most, as a standard, havethe following.

1: Device status/power.

1 power LED. To show no other than power applied.

1 Diagnostics test lamp, used to tell the status of the software/hardware as a whole, and what mode the router is is.

2: ADSL lamps.

1 Used to say the status and/or mode the ADSL is in. This can mean sync, and/or if authentication/a pipe is connected.

Data. Flashes to show data through put on connection

3: Ethernet.

Used to tell the status of ethernet connections to the device. Some of the status conditions can be.

* 10 or 100MB modes (usualy applied to built in switch).

* Full or half duplex

* Data throughput

* Physical connection/sync

There are many ways for companies to intergrate these. Most drop half of them out alltogether, which is wrong. These LEDs are a great way for single glance diagnostics.

Some other ways they are provided.

1: Not including them
2: Dual use. Flashing
3: Dual use. Dual colour

You should take a look at some of the switch racks I manage. For each port they have 5 LEDs for each port.

These are
1: Connection sync / Connection mode / error (Straight or crossover, or bad wiring)
2: Speed. 10/100/1000 (Conditions: Off/On orange/On green)
3: Half / full duplex mode
4: Data throughput
5: Overbroadcasting (When too many global broadcasts are made).

Most of it surounds what the maker wants to place in them. Basic level consumer products usualy have less, more advanced have more.

It isn't that they want to charge you more for a 2p LED. Software has to be written to drive the LED, this includes to make it flash and/or use a different colour.