cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any inkjet recommendations ?

N/A

My ancient epson inkjet is about to give up the ghost.

Has anyone any recommendations 150-200 quid range ?

need for use with kids gcse and A levels projects in the main.
12 REPLIES
N/A

i am very happy with my HP deskjet 3822 (also know as the 3820)
which was under £100

johnathan
N/A

Hi there,

One of the guys here has just returned from Florida with his holiday snaps. He has just bought a Epson 900 @ £99.00 and brought in a few of the prints on Glossy paper, very, very good. We had to check the back to make sure they had not come from the Developers. :lol:

Chris
Community Veteran

I've always gone with HP stuff, few problems, cheapish supplies and easy to fix when they do go wrong.

Chris
N/A

I just bought an Epson 900 from Dixons for £99 (down from £149). Very good printer, photo quality, borderless, CD, roll, cheap ink cartridges (you don't buy a new printhead every time as you do with HP (see Shop Internet for prices)).
Community Veteran

I have to concur that the Epson 900 is a mean machine as far as photos are concerned. However, it isn't the printer for you (trust me... I'm an AS-level student who's had a lot of printers)! I myself use an Epson 925 (I'm in to photography), and while it is fantastic for photos, the ink comes in small quantities and is expensive, and the printer does take a while to print. Unless your student is also a photographer, I would personally recommend the Epson Stylus C84 Photo for £100... it's in the main a document printer, but can come up with a few decent photographs when required - useful for the creation of leaflets and the like.

Thomas
N/A

I would like to say the Epson 925 is excelent for photography. Much like Thomas, part of my job involves photo repo.

I use 4 printers, all epson.

A 640 for color docs
A 780 for high quality docs and photo drafts
A 7000 for anything above A4 upto A1 (well recomended if you have a few grand to spare)

All high quality A4 work is perfomed on on Epson 925.

We only do one print oper fortnight ont hat printer, and it can dry out very easily if not in use. I also beleive the card reader function of the drivers may have caused us a few issues in XP.

We are not sure of that, but havn't just done a full restore on the system, the drivers are going in tomorrow, so we will find out.
Community Veteran

Well, I haven't had any problems in XP to do with the card reader functionality... oh, and btw, if the printer does appear to dry up, just do a print-head clean... uses a bit of ink, but does the job.

For what it's worth, I have a review of the Epson 925 (and this will also apply to its newer brother, the 935) at my site here. But I still stand by my recommendation of the C84 Photo for gssj90. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

For fear of drifting off ever so slightly.

The jury is out on the the card reader issue. We have 5 system 100% exactly the same, only the one it was connected to had the taskbar lockup every so often.

As for the print heads, they often be very dry. We go through Ink faster than any other printer we have seen (I have seen a lot, trust me).

I suspect more use of the printer would allow us to get extra use out of the ink, even if it was only a text document. But the way we currently see it, the printer may not be with us much longer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The new Canon i865 is worth a very long look, at £165 a bit more than some, but the 5 ink tank system will I suggest pay for it'self quite quickly over cheap printers with tiddly sized ink tanks that cost more than the printer purchase price to replace more than a couple of times.

And Oh yes, it's an excellent photo printer as well, and claimed to be almost laser quality for doc prints...well almost.

If you have a PictBridge capable camera it will plug directly into the printer for PC free printing, but in fairness there are not many of these cameras around yet, and those that are are nearly all Canon's not unnaturally.

Check it out....no doubt someone will know where it's cheaper than this as well.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

£133 (ex. vat - though it says inc. when you goto order it adds vat on top :?) from PixMania Wink
N/A

PixMania quote all there prices with VAT included.

They have only eaten around £3000 of us in the past two months, and it has allways been VAT inclusive pricing.
N/A

Thanks vm all for reply
much appreciated.

I have copped out a little i am afraid.
Gone for cheap cannon for time being,
reviews seem favourable and i judged i didn't need fancy gadgets for photo interface or speed so as they say u pays ur money and takes a chance.
Will update with a review once its been running a while.

thanks again all.

[Moderator note (by acarr) : Removed duplicated reply]