cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any PowerMac users out there?

N/A

Hi

I am rapidly approaching the need to upgrade,and I don't like Win XP,can't really live with Linux/Unix but as that seems the only other way to go I thought that I may as well investigate getting a Unix system as in "PowerMac G4".But have a few of questions

1)It would seem that with "Macs" the monitor is an optional extra,and am wondering if seeing that buying a G4 is going to blow my upgrade budget,if I would be able to use my excisting monitor for a while?

2) I have ISDN (Home Highway) am I going to find any difficulties getting it connected to that,would I be able to use the network card that is in my current computer,I cannot find out if the G4 has any PCI slots and if it has, are they compatable with ordinary PC cards (wrong chioce of words perhaps),but hope you understand what I mean Smiley

3) In the unlikely event I get broadband before the G4,will the router I get be compatable?

4) am I likely to find myself alienated from persons I video chat to on Windows based systems?

Thanks for any help forwarded.

Ian & Linda Jordan
10 REPLIES
N/A

1: Yes, you can get converters and some mac display adapters come with the PC style socket on them allready (with the mac along side).

2: No, PC PCI is totaly different to the MAC. Pretty obvious considering the fact they are totaly different chip technologies.

When I did my research into the G4, all of the ones I looked at came with LAN built in, and most of them where 10/100/1000 (copper gigabit).

You are best choosing a supplier that is either able to give the information from the net, or has a phone contact. When phoning, I strongly sugest that if they can't tell you right off, or takes longer than one min on hold, then they are not serious about supporting the products.

3: Yes, the router will be compatable. Routers operate on TCP/IP, provided the mac does (allmost a gurentee) then you are fine.

4: WIll depend. What services do your friends use? Some services provide both windows and mac clients, while a lot don't.
N/A

[list=1]
  • Regarding monitors... there's no need to buy an Apple one. Apple monitors are lovely, but are quite expensive. Don't worry, though - you can plug in an ordinary VGA or DVI monitor without any problems.
  • PCI hardware is the same on both PC and Mac. The only problem you might run into is whether a card has drivers for the Mac. Things like video cards should work without drivers, but I don't know about ISDN.
  • Any router will work with a Mac.
  • I don't know about video chat, sorry.[/listShocked]

BTW, Apple have now released the PowerMac G5 - this uses an entirely new processor and is a lot faster than the G4. If you can afford it, I'd get one of these instead.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Unneccessary list UBBC tag removed for you.]
  • N/A

Thanks for the feedback,it has given me a lot to think about."restorer" I would like to get a G5 but is a little out of my price range at the moment.unless I can get a good price for my wife at the slave market Cheesy

I think: and could well be wrong here that I will still be able to converse with my friends that use AIM and MSN

Ian & Linda Jordan
    N/A

i know that iChat works with AIM but i'm not sure about MSN. Certainly there are programs out there that work with both
    N/A

ISDN won't be a problem. Remember: Macs are used a lot in prepress and files are often transfered using ISDN.

Similarly, broadband will work without issue. Recent Macs are just Unix with a very nice GUI front end. All the routers I've come across have a browser or telnet interface, both of which a Mac can talk to out of the box.

Instant Messaging might be more of a problem. I use Yahoo and MSN and, while both work fine for text and file transfer, they are a few revisions behind their Windows counterparts.

--> Stephen
    N/A

Recent Macs are just Unix with a very nice GUI front end
    --> Stephen

Thanks Stephen since my original post I have managed to do a little research,but was curious about the "Unix" element I take it that it is something a little more sophisticated than "Suse 8.2" that I am battling with ta the moment (no disrespect to "Suse" I like it,but it does'nt like me Smiley ),or is it in fact Suse,Redhat or something similar with a good user interface?

But I have "She who must be obeyed" permision to go for it when the financies settle after our holidays.

Ian & Linda Jordan
    N/A

In OSX you don't ever need to go down to the command-line as you occasionally have to do on Linux. But you do get all the advantages, such as a very stable and industry standard network stack -- this is why you need not worry about your broadband or ISDN connection.

There is a longer answer to this (including why Linux isn't Unix and the whole OSX lineage back to the original Unix implemetation) but I shall leave that to another time...

BTW, my iBook was the first Macintosh I owned having had a few Windows machines before that. I can highly recommend making the switch!

--> Stephen
    N/A

Thanks Stephen

Your thoughts are appreciated.By the way I am winning the battle with "Suse" this has been composed and post via that software.I am happy.

Ian & Linda Jordan
    N/A

If you decide to make the switch, make sure you've got enough memory in your system, as Apple often don't ship their computers with anywhere near enough.

I bought my eMac over the summer, and it only came with 128MB, which was limiting to say the least! I picked up 512 meg extra for about fifty quid, while Apple were selling the same amount for £160

If you're getting fed up with Windows, then I'd definitely recommend taking the plunge, I've not looked back. And in the four months I've had it, it's not crashed once (and having come from Win98SE, that was a major change for me!)
    N/A

If you're getting fed up with Windows, then I'd definitely recommend taking the plunge, I've not looked back. And in the four months I've had it, it's not crashed once (and having come from Win98SE, that was a major change for me!)

Well the plunge has been taken,and although the learning curve has been steep I have come to like the system.

However I am stuck on one thing.E-mail is ok but I am stuck for a suitable newsreader.I have tried a number of newsreaders but I guess OE has spoiled me as I don't seem to find one (and I maybe looking in the wrong place) that allows me to mark articles I wished to download the next time I log on:similar to OE's "synchronise all",from what I can see (and again I may be wrong) they all seem to either download the headers or all the message bodies,with no in between options.

It's taken just over a week for me to make any sense of OSX but I think it was worth the change.

Ian & Linda Jordan