cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another question about my wifes Laptop

N/A

Hi

On my wifes XP laptop,if when it starts up she has to enter a password does that mean that she has "admin rights",or is that sometning that needs to be set up elswhere.

Thanks

Ian & Linda Jordan
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Depends on what type of user the user is that she logs in with.

Go to control panel them click user accounts and see if the user is defined as an admin. If the user is not an admin you can change it to be an admin account., although you have to be logged in as an admin user to do this.
Community Veteran

She might have admin rights, but it depends if she has been setup as an adminsitrator.
If she was setup as the sole user when you installed XP then yes she should have admin rights.

Chris
N/A

She certainly seems to have them....... the reason for my query was in case she had to have before she could use the "System File Checker" which unlike the one I had on my Windows 98SEdoes'nt seem to do anything.

I know it must because a bar moves across as it's checking.So does the XP version only show anything if something is wrong,and the fact that a black window flashed up for a second,and then another window opened and the progress bar moved across and when it reached the end the window closed.means that all her imprtant files are ok? or does it simply hide a log somewhere?

I am a little confused by this,as I found the Win 98 version of "sff" to be useful in that you could set it up to warn if a vital file was about to be changed.Ok perhaps with XP this is the nature of the beast;I don't know but would like to learn a bit more about it,but that is a little difficult when so little appears to happen :-)

Thanks for the replies

Ian & Linda Jordan
Community Veteran

You have to run it as sfc /scannow. Running sfc on its own just gives a black screen for a flash as you have seen.

You can also run sfc from a dos (cmd) box where you will see running sfc without a parameter just gives you the options available which is what the black flash was you are seeing.
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Desktop>sfc

Microsoft(R) Windows XP Windows File Checker Version 5.1
(C) 1999-2000 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved

Scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct
crosoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/SCANONCE] [/SCANBOOT] [/REVERT] [/PURGECACHE] [/CACHESIZE=x]

/SCANNOW Scans all protected system files immediately.
/SCANONCE Scans all protected system files once at the next boot.
/SCANBOOT Scans all protected system files at every boot.
/REVERT Return scan to default setting.
/PURGECACHE Purges the file cache.
/CACHESIZE=x Sets the file cache size.

C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Desktop>

I had to run this on my brother-in-laws PC this evening and had exactly the same issue.

Also you cannot run sfc from safe mode which is a major problem if your system does not boot properly as the system I fixed tonight did.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

In XP any user can have a password, if they have been setup to require a password.

I think even a limited user can setup their own password, but as previously mentioned only an admin account. Can maintain all accounts and any other users password.

As for SFC, if you type "command" from the Run option. You will get a small command prompt window. It's sometimes easier to do this when trying dos commands.

At least that way if a command doesn't work, you won't just get a window that pops up for a fraction of second, you can see why it didn't work.

You didn't mention what version of XP you running on, as XP professional carries extra user controls in the form of group polices.