cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An oldish pc will it have a slot 4 a 10/100 network ethernet

N/A

My mate wants xbox live he i dont think he will spend 50 ish pounds on a router. He has just upgraded os 2 me from 98. And i dont think he has a 10/100 ethernet network card. Will there be a slot 4 one as in 45 mins i will be going with him 2 buy a network card. And i guess there simple 2 install

Thanks all
9 REPLIES
N/A

The best way to tell if you've got a slot available is to take the case off and have a look.

Unless the PC is really old you should have PCI (white) slots into which you can install a PCI network card. If the PC is older and only has ISA (black) slots available you would have to look around for an ISA network card.

A PCI card would be pretty much plug and play - an ISA card might require more effort!

It sounds like you are planning on connecting the Xbox directly to the PC and using ICS to share the internet connection. If so, make sure you get a cross-over ethernet cable...
--
Mark.
N/A

Yeah i no what cable 2 get mate i have it my self. Just trying 2 get lots of my mates 2 get it but not that sure how 2 fit things as of yet.

Can u get usb network cards
N/A

You can get USB to Ethernet adapters, but they seem to be £15 upwards.

If the PC's got USB ports then it's probably got PCI slots and you can pick up PCI ethernet cards for less than a tenner. You just need to check there's a slot free...
--
Mark.
michaelscott
Grafter

Bear in mind that if it's 'Old-ish' it'll probably be USB1.1 and compared to ethernet, it's slooowwwww. You'd/He'd get much better performance from a PCI card
N/A

I bought a pci network card yesturday for 5.99 bargain. Went round do his house and its a packard bell pc ok. But it seems imposable 2 get the case off. So i dont no what 2 do. Tried it in mine works grt even though i dont need it.

Were can u pick up usb ethernet adaptors from then any 1
N/A

Most good PC stores should stock them (even the not-so good PC stores such as PC World Wink).
N/A

i just found one on the net 20 quid not bad. I mean its shame the cover wont come off. Well usb is a better option 4 him as its a family pc.

Thanks guys
N/A

Sounds like a Packard Bell club, so it will have PCI slots. To get in, pull the plastic front off (mind the front USB connector and CD Rom front panels) to gain access to the side panel screws, and then the side panels slide off forwards.
N/A

i see what i am afraid of its there only pc and if i [censored] it up i am screwed. I think i will let his dad do it. Thanks 4 that

[Moderator note (by acarr) : Please remember these are family forums. Strong language removed]